Flasks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alastairmac 15 May 2016
I've got a cupboard full of flasks. None on which seem to be that great at keeping water really hot. Any recommendations on a reasonably light flask that represents the best out there? Thanks in anticipation.
J1234 15 May 2016
In reply to Lenin:

seconded. I've got the older and smaller version and its the best flask of that size I've found.
 jonnie3430 15 May 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

Jet boil, they are light enough these days.
 Andrew Wilson 15 May 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

Another vote for thermos ultimate. Probably as good as it gets.
 Guy Hurst 15 May 2016
In reply to Lenin:

They are great flasks. Even the 300ml ones easily keep stuff hot all day. However, I'm baffled as to why they've changed the design of the stopper. The traditional unscrew the stopper half a turn and then pour works fine with the two Thermos Ultimate flasks I've had for years.
 Andrew Wilson 15 May 2016
In reply to Guy Hurst:

I can only think that this new design lets less heat out when pouring.
At least it's not a push-button, I think they are awful.
 john_mx 15 May 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

I have had this for about 6 months now and keeps stuff how for about 10 hours and warm for about 24-28.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3199080.htm

That's the only place I can find with it still for sale, £11.99.
 Welsh Kate 15 May 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

When you could buy them easily in the UK, nothing beat the Zojurishi flask, but when a bl**dy mouse ate part of the stopper of mine and I couldn't get another one, I got the Thermos Ultimate instead, and it's a fine replacement for a fab piece of kit.
 Sharp 16 May 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

I've used a stanley flask for the last couple of years and it's been fine but having said that I've used cheap flasks and they've been fine as well. I think a lot of it is marketing trying to cover up the reality of whats physcially possible. If you heat the flask up first it'll stay warmer, the bigger flask you buy the longer it will stay hot and as soon as you've drunk half of it it'll go cold quicker.
 UKC Forums 16 May 2016
This thread was started in the HILLTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Climbing Gear
Post all your climbing gear-related questions here. You know how you love comparing Friends with Camalots!

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/info/forums.html
 ColdWill 16 May 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

I recently bought a Primus and found it performs exactly the same as my Go Outdoors Hi Gear of the same size which cost 15% the amount.
 cfer 16 May 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

Ive had various over the years and the one that I think performs best is the asda own brand

http://direct.asda.com/george/george-home/George-Home-Glass-Vacuum-Flask-1....

keeps stuff hot for 6-8 hrs and still warm the next day

Fraser 16 May 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

I've only ever used cheapo small ones, including Asda own brand, but the best I've used, and still have, is Decathlon's own brand. It keeps coffee super hot and never leaks. Whichever one you get though, make sure to 'charge' it with boiling water for 5 minutes before filling with <drink of your choice> as this makes a huge difference.
OP alastairmac 16 May 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

Thanks for all the replies. Really helpful. Thanks
 kermit_uk 16 May 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/lifeventure-tiv-vacuum-flask-1000ml-e2312065...

I've had one of these for over 10 years. Still burn my mouth cos i forget how hot it's going to be.

I also have a 500ml version.

I think key is whilst it's full or fairly full flasks stay hot for ages once it gets emptier you have to finish them off quickly.
 nathan79 16 May 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

I've got a 500ml Thermos ThermoCafé flask that cost me maybe £5 on sale in Asda and I bought my girlfriend a 500ml Thermos Ultimate flask for ~£25 last year.
Tested them side by side last week. Mine 15hrs after filling and hers 12 hours after filling. Both still full. The water in mine was still hot enough for a cuppa, the water from hers even more so.

I also have a bigger Stanley flask that comes out in winter. Again this keeps stuff hot for 12hrs plus.
 Andy Hardy 16 May 2016
In reply to UKC Forums:

In what way is flask a piece of climbing gear?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...