PRESS RELEASE: Leo Houlding targets new horizon with snow-kiting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 09 May 2016
Leo in snowkiting action, 2 kbBritish climber and adventurer Leo Houlding has embarked on a month long, unsupported 1,000 mile expedition across the Greenland ice cap. Houlding will attempt to snowkite from Kangerlussuaq in the south west and finish in Qaanaaq, one of the most northerly towns on Earth. He will be accompanied by highly experienced snowkiter Bruce Corrie.

Read more
 JayPee630 09 May 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Basically just a publicity/marketing stunt then? Yawn.
 Doug 09 May 2016
In reply to JayPee630:

why is this "news" when the complete tour of Greenland (4 or 5 times the distance) was ignored ? (see e.g. http://wingsovergreenland-fr.blogspot.fr/ )
In reply to Doug:

It's pretty clearly labelled as a PRESS RELEASE from Berghaus.
 JayPee630 09 May 2016
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Hmmm, I've been on here a while and don't really get the moaning about the gear reviews/press release stuff, but I have to say this felt much less clear. Announcing an expedition as basically a marketing ploy is much harder to seperate from the actual expedition reports and announcements that happen on here.

I do think this kind of thing long term makes both the brand and the person involved look a bit less credible and more like a cash generating/grabbing tbh.
 JayPee630 09 May 2016
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

And actually it's not clearly labelled in the title, I totally missed it first time round, only after going back when you mentioned it did it seem more obvious.

How about naming it: Product Placement and Advertising 'news': pointless 'expedition' by Leo Holding to promote the Berghaus brand announced.
 Damo 09 May 2016
In reply to JayPee630:
> ... pointless 'expedition' by Leo Holding to promote the Berghaus brand announced.

Sponsored athletes have to share and push ALL that they do that is relevant to their field, including all training and related activity - not just the big expeditions. So it's far from 'pointless'.

The article makes it clear this is a new thing for Houlding and I'm educated-guessing that he's doing this as preparation and training for a much bigger trip that will involved significant climbing. He'd be an idiot to NOT do a trip like this.

And because it's part of his training and buildup, it's quite normal it would be covered and promoted by his sponsor, who is paying for it all. There are far better things to argue about on UKC than this.

If the future trip is what I think it is, it will be a groundbreaking expedition well-worth getting excited about, and when it's reported here on UKC they'll be able to link back to this article as all part of the bigger story.
Post edited at 22:48
 aln 09 May 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

This looks exciting and a lot of fun. Jeez there's so many moany tw@ts on UKc
 Robert Durran 09 May 2016
In reply to Damo:

It didn't strike me as particularly commercial as these things go and quite an interesting project. And anyway, I could forgive Berghaus and Houlding an awful lot because of this fantastic parody - brilliant and very funny on so many levels: youtube.com/watch?v=F7b96bQfnjE&

> The article makes it clear this is a new thing for Houlding and I'm educated-guessing that he's doing this as preparation and training for a much bigger trip that will involved significant climbing. He'd be an idiot to NOT do a trip like this.

I seem to remember him mentioning at the end of a lecture that his next big project was some desperately remote and gnarly looking mountain in Antactica (inaccessible by plane?) that they planned to climb and then kite ski to the coast or south pole afterwards - looked bonkers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...