REVIEW: Nikwax Tech Wash, TX Direct and Basefresh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 22 Apr 2016
Right side treated with TX Direct; left side untreated  , 3 kbTech Wash cleans waterproof fabrics and TX Direct restores their DWR finish. Basefresh promises to banish base layer odour without compromising performance. We gave them a rigorous workout on the oldest jacket and smelliest top in the gear store.

Read more
 The Potato 22 Apr 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

all well and good but here are my experiences in real life -

Tech wash - very good and I use this regularly for all my outdoor / running / cycling /waterproof clothing

Down proof - clogged up my micro down meaning I had to get it cleaned professionally costing £50, wont be using again

Wash in direct / spray on - works for about 2 uses, not very effective

Base fresh - works ok but not worth the cost, pure soap is fine
 Guy Hurst 22 Apr 2016

Tech Wash is pretty effective, but expensive for what it is. Dri-Pak Liquid Soap Flakes does the same job but costs less than half the price; or you can dissolve dry soap flakes (not detergent) in hot water and use it in the same way. These products are a bit hard to get hold of, but not impossible. I think Waitrose sell the liquid soap, and a few shops still stock the dry flakes.
Also, detergent doesn't destroy DWR, it masks it. To get an old waterproof really clean, you can wash it in detergent, clean out your washing machine and then wash the garment again in Dri-Pak to remove the detergent residue.
 climbwhenready 22 Apr 2016
In reply to Pesda potato:

I have a very different experience of TX direct you; I find it lasts for at least a couple of months (of course on modern fabrics that "take" DWR) before needing refreshing.
 GarethSL 25 Apr 2016

The article forgets to mention/do(?) the essential tumble drying step when re-proofing clothing.

Can also recommend ironing (on low-med temp) seams to keep the tape adhered and prevent bubbling.
 alimckay 25 Apr 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

Nikwax doesn't need heat treatment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...