NEWS: Route Cards Get Major Update on UKHillwalking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 01 Apr 2016
A comparison of map detail levels available , 4 kbOver the last few weeks we have been working hard to overhaul the UKH Route Card system. The route cards feature over 170 individual walks, runs and bike trails, and with the new system now live this number will steadily grow.

Read more
 Michael Gordon 01 Apr 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

I actually thought this was going to be an April fool safety measure about climbers/walkers having to fill in online cards detailing their plans for the day.
 digby 01 Apr 2016
The 25k view is not ordnance survey! It may be 25k, and it might come from OS, but it is not what we would regard as a 25k OS map. It doesn't even have contours!
Post edited at 17:19
In reply to digby:
All the image data for the map comes directly from Ordnance Survey. The 1:25,000 version doesn't include contour lines, but it does have some labels that done seem to be present on the printer version and vice-versa.

I'm comparing my version of Ben Nevis & Fort William Explorer map to our online one and the sketches seem to match up.

Whether it is or isn't, its a pretty good map to have as a free online resource!
Post edited at 17:27
 digby 01 Apr 2016
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

Both WalkHighlands and WalkLakes have 25k OS mapping if you register for free. Contours are pretty vital for navigation.
Instead of looking at Ben Nevis try a less featured area!

Walkhighlands has the edge on the interface (though not perfect by any means). Your overview map, similar to the UKC crags one, is not the greatest way in to the fine detail.
I do admire what you are doing though, but the 25k map is not much good.

It's great to have the 1:50,000 back, so thanks for that. However, the 1:25000 shows no public footpaths, farm tracks, access land or field boundaries so is not much use for anything. Looking forward to getting OS mapping back (even if only at 1:50,000) for 'map my route.'
In reply to Vanessa Simmons:

We will definitely be having a looking at getting the OS maps back on there. Its quite a big job though so that will be a bit down the line.
 digby 02 Apr 2016

A satellite view might be more use than the 25k map. Or openstreetmap in the 'land' view. Sadly not very good out of urban areas as far as detail goes, but it is opensource and editable by users, so might one day be good if people would contribute.
 cymjt 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

A map with no contours is useless, it's as simple as that.
 Simon Caldwell 02 Apr 2016

Well done

Any plans to extend this to the "map my route" system, to restore the functionality that went AWOL last year? There are 2 or 3 that I was planning on turning into Route Cards, but that relies on being able to plot them properly in the first place. I assume that the Route Card creation utility uses the May My Route code, they certainly look the same (ie not much use!)
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

That's on the TODO list but it's quite involved. The new mapping system we're using should be less susceptible to API changes like the one Bing did to break everything last time though, so once it's sorted this time it should be more robust in the long term.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...