dog safe sleeping mat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
muzza65 29 Mar 2016
I'm looking for a pad that is dog save. I have two of which love to be next to me at night. Ive slept on a few air beds with on it with out any problems, (other than lack of room for myself). Their claws are well worn as they do 3 hrs walk a day.

Im thinking of getting a neoair xlite. Seems light weight and small. About £80 I think.

Has any had any luck with them. Or would it be best doing a foam matt instead.
In reply to muzza65:

Is the pad for both you and the dogs, if not is it for the dogs or you?

What weather conditions (i.e. temperature) to generally use it?

Roughly what size are the dogs?
 Dave the Rave 29 Mar 2016
In reply to muzza65:

4 season Karrimat. Puncture proof.
 bouldery bits 29 Mar 2016
In reply to muzza65:

Thermarest Z-lite
muzza65 30 Mar 2016
In reply to L'Eeyore:
The matt is for me. They are meant to be on the floor. They cant help but get warm next to me.

Generally 3 seasons, not bave enough for the winter as yet.
muzza65 30 Mar 2016
In reply to muzza65:

Thanks dave and boulder I will look them up.

What I did see in the shop today was a sheet to go over a matt. Thought that was a good idea.
 top cat 30 Mar 2016
In reply to muzza65:
> (In reply to L'Eeyore)
> The matt is for me. They are meant to be on the floor. They cant help but get warm next to me.
>
> Generally 3 seasons, not bave enough for the winter as yet.

Come on, you need a mat for the dogs too.........yer meanie )

ceri 30 Mar 2016
In reply to muzza65:
We've never had problems with dog claws damaging our various thermarests. The dogs sleep in their bed on an old foam rollmat at the foot of the bed, but in the day stamp around the whole tent.
In reply to muzza65:

There will always be a bit of a risk of a puncture with any mat that relies on air, the dogs just increase the risk slightly. I suspect you would be fine with the neoair xlite, I don't believe they are any less resistant punctures than most airbeds.

I always have a separate bed for the dog, makes life so much easier. There is no way she would be happy sleeping on a tent floor and I only have to tell her BED to ensure things like the stove don't get knocked over.
 the abmmc 30 Mar 2016
In reply to muzza65:

One of my worst nights ever was when a freeze was on and it was -15 at night. On the walk up to Altanour Lodge to camp, my dog rolled in horse dung. I had to chip the wee stream with my ice axe to get to the dribble of water flowing and to top it all off I was in a Highlander -40 sleeping bag I'd picked up for bargain price of £40. It was sh*t and no way rated to -40, I could not get warm on my 4 season Karrimat and said stinking dog was pushing her way constantly onto my mat, sleeping bag and face, no matter how many times I sent her to her sleeping area that didn't have any mat. I packed everything up at 10pm, frozen right through, stinking now myself of horse dung, and walked to a keeper's house who I knew and he sent me to sleep in his garage!

Buy your dogs their own mats for goodness sake, before this happens to you!

On your OP, I personally would be wary with an xlite with dogs in the tent. I'd go for something a bit more beefy, but not as beefy as the thermarests. Perhaps one of the synmats range, or if you're flush, the downmats.

Tom
muzza65 30 Mar 2016
In reply to muzza65:

Thanks all, when i'm doing car camping the dogs either have a memory foam, two of which line the floor of my astravan all the time. Or they get my woollen jacket (survival jacket I think its called). At home they have plenty to sleep on, from expensive dog beds, sofas and my own king size bed. And they know what OFF means, thou not said very often. So if they have to rough it abit will not hurt them.

Ive not not done wild camping as yet, really looking forward to getting out with my dogs and do some night photography.

I can feel your pain abmmc.
In reply to muzza65:

Not meant as any sort of criticism, but the dogs will need their own bed when wild camping (unless they are used to sleeping outside). How you sort this is up to you.
muzza65 30 Mar 2016
In reply to muzza65:

Dont worry, they will have some bedding of some type.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...