REVIEW: Primus Winter Gas and Gravity stove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 22 Mar 2016
Winter Gas and Gravity stove - a good combination for cold weather cooking, 3 kbIt's still nippy on the hills - at least between dusk and dawn, when a stove gets the most use. Dan Bailey tests a combination of burner and fuel from Primus designed for colder conditions: Winter Gas and the Gravity stove.

Read more
 TobyA 22 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

The photos make Scottish winter camping look heavenly! I know its not always that nice, but wow - some cracking mornings you had there.

Is the only difference between Primus Winter Gas and Primus Power Gas the blotting paper insert? I'd be thrilled to see more evidence on how much better that new system is.
 gethin_allen 23 Mar 2016

Surely the obvious choice is to use bog standard gas with a remote canister stove that has a vapouriser loop and then invert the canister once things are warmed up a bit. Sod paying £7.50 a bottle of gas
 munro90 24 Mar 2016
In reply to Sir Stefan:

> Is the only difference between Primus Winter Gas and Primus Power Gas the blotting paper insert? I'd be thrilled to see more evidence on how much better that new system is.

Difficult to say. Primus subtly hint that the Propane:Isobutane ratio is different in their Winter Gas http://www.primus.eu/knowhow/primus-gas (typically winter gases use more propane because it evaporates at lower temperatures, see: http://goo.gl/MZcJfM). And as Primus say, you need the right gas for the conditions, the paper insert might make you burn through your canister faster in summer. More testing needed!
 gethin_allen 25 Mar 2016
In reply to munro90:
"the paper insert might make you burn through your canister faster in summer"

Surely not, you just set the gas flow to whatever is required to cook your food which in the summer would be less than in the winter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...