PRESS RELEASE: Five good reasons to use walking poles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 21 Mar 2016
Leki - Walking Poles, 2 kb

Invented by leading trekking pole manufacturer LEKI in 1974, trekking poles have fast become a common sight on our outdoor British landscape.  Many have already discovered the reasons why poles make for a better outdoor experience including Plas y Brenin National Outdoor Centre whose instructors use LEKI and who also offers LEKI poles to their guests.   However if you're yet to be convinced, Dave Cheetham, marketing manager, at Plas y Brenin gives us five reasons why a good set of walking poles is a wise investment. 

Read more
 Rog Wilko 21 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

While I understand all the plus points raised in this article/advertisement I still return to my personal policy of not using poles. I have always suffered from a rather poor sense of balance which needs to be continually challenged so as not to deteriorate further, as I found happened when I have used poles for more than an hour or so.
 flopsicle 21 Mar 2016

Poles come into their own when walking with small children. They can be wedged to provide makeshift handrails over rocky bits, or to block off less safe parts of a track, used generally for herding, and, poking small children up the butt improves their pace on steep hills! :-P
 jonnie3430 21 Mar 2016

Press release or advert for leki? Seems the latter! And a best seller that is £144? And it's for ladies, how so? Disappointed by this, especially the five reasons, was expecting to read the findings of a study on the benefits of using poles, not just opinions from a pole seller.
In reply to flopsicle:

Poles can also be used for jousting with cows - although the umbrella is usually more readily available and looks less vicious to onlookers.

More seriously;

Whilst I rarely use poles now, I always take them on a multi-day remote walk - I see them as part of my first aid kit.

I'm sure the debate whether to use the wrist loops will go on for decades; use them and get maximum support from the poles v trip over and break a wrist due to your hand being trapped.
 cathsullivan 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> While I understand all the plus points raised in this article/advertisement I still return to my personal policy of not using poles. I have always suffered from a rather poor sense of balance which needs to be continually challenged so as not to deteriorate further, as I found happened when I have used poles for more than an hour or so.

I used to resist using poles for this reason but have changed my mind. I've always had fairly rubbish balance (apparently it's because I have excessively mobile joints in my lower body). I went through a long phase that started a few years ago where my already poor balance became even worse. It was mainly caused by a history of bad ankle sprains (see above), the natural deterioration of balance that happens with age and a problem with my inner ear that started with a bout of labyrnithitis and went on for a couple of years. When my balance was at it's worst during this period I was forced to use two walking poles because I could barely walk on even slightly rough ground without spontaneously toppling over, espcially with a heavy sack. At the time, I was given some black diamond poles that fold up very small, which were a total life saver. They fold up enough so that they can go inside a 15litre rucksack on long rock climbs, via ferrata etc.

I started using poles because I had to, but have continued to use a single pole even for walking short distances to crags and am now less convinced that using a pole will make my balance worse. I was always worried that I'd become dependent on the poles, that my balance would get worse and I would then have even more problems in situations where I didn't have poles. A physio persauded me otherwise. She said that what would actually happen is that my brain would receive extra positional feedback from the contact between the pole and the ground, and that this extra feedback would actually help my balance and proprioception to improve. No idea how well supported by research that view is, and I can see how it might not fit with the principle that you have to challenge your balance to improve it, but I found her argument quite persausive.
 Andy Say 21 Mar 2016
In reply to cathsullivan:

> A physio persauded me otherwise. She said that what would actually happen is that my brain would receive extra positional feedback from the contact between the pole and the ground, and that this extra feedback would actually help my balance and proprioception to improve. No idea how well supported by research that view is, and I can see how it might not fit with the principle that you have to challenge your balance to improve it, but I found her argument quite persausive.

Wasn't it Winthrop Young who, with a wooden leg from a war injury, wrote that he fell off a route when he passed his arm in front of his face and lost visual reinforcement of his body position?

But £145 quid!!! And I'm not totally convinced the Leki invented. in the 70's, the idea that using a pole or two might help you walk
Removed User 21 Mar 2016

Advertorial me thinks.........
 Aly 21 Mar 2016

When you title something as a 'Press Release' it usually means that there is something newsworthy to report.
Could UKC please just label any future threads like this as "ADVERT: Five good reasons to use walking poles" and put it in the premier posts along with the other classifieds (I'm assuming Leki have paid you for this like any other premier post)?
 NottsRich 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Aly:

> (I'm assuming Leki have paid you for this like any other premier post)?

I hope they didn't pay, with mistakes like

> or testing the depth puddles before ploughing through

Michael Gordon 21 Mar 2016

The main reason for using poles is to help protect and prolong the hips/knees on descents. Added to that there is potential for added stability on rough/slippy ground, and they can be a real aid on tricky river crossings.

How odd that none of these (particularly the first) were mentioned!
 JayPee630 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:

What a badly written advert/press release! Loads of mistakes.

And as has been said, this isn't really a press release, it's an advert. And a bad one.
 Andy Say 21 Mar 2016
The human body has evolved over more than few years. It can actually cope with most things. And is designed to do most of the things it is asked to do well.

I would say that the two main advantages of poles are the upright posture and improved breathing, mentioned by Dave Cheetham, and the improved stability you get when moving on uncertain terrain (e.g. deep snow) with a heavy load. Reducing shock going downhill is, I believe, pretty much a myth.

How much research has been done on elbow/shoulder injury as result of inappropriate loading through the use of walking poles.
Post edited at 14:19
 Rog Wilko 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

> Wasn't it Winthrop Young who, with a wooden leg from a war injury, wrote that he fell off a route when he passed his arm in front of his face and lost visual reinforcement of his body position?

I have never seen this before and find it very interesting as it mirrors my own experience. When as a young child in a cycling-mad family I was faced with cycling in the dark (which I wouldn't consider now for other reasons!) I could not stay on the road. It wasn't because I couldn't see in the dark as well as anyone else, but it seemed to compromise my balance, which of course on two wheels is closely connected with steering i.e. you are continually making small steering adjustments in order to stay upright, steering into the fall. I think it was because I need to focus on something distant to keep my balance. Now, at the Pilates class, I can just about balance on one foot for about 10 seconds, but no way can I do that with my eyes closed. BTW, I did eventually overcome my riding in the dark problem by about age 14 by sheer force of will, though if it became foggy I was an accident waiting to happen.
PS in our club I have a bit of a reputation for knocking back the beer (totally unjustified) because when walking the mile up the track to our club hut in the dark I cannot walk in anything near a straight line.
 Rog Wilko 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

> How much research has been done on elbow/shoulder injury as result of inappropriate loading through the use of walking poles.

Very good question.

Mention of snow reminds me of one of the best reasons (IMHO) for using A pole is when traversing steep snow slopes - short axe in the uphill hand, pole in the downhill hand (not using the hand loop so you can drop it if you need two hands for ice-axe braking). Feels very secure.
 planetmarshall 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

> The human body...is designed to do most of the things it is asked to do well.

No it isn't.

GrahamD 21 Mar 2016

I'm pretty sure my grandad used sticks for walking long before Leki had invented them.
 Andy Nisbet 21 Mar 2016

I partly blame lower back problems from using poles aggressively for 25 years (changes your posture). Of course that means that I have to continue using them. Not that I don't recommend them, just you never get something for nothing. I would suggest young folk vary their use.
 Robert Durran 21 Mar 2016

I find it difficult enough to coordinate two legs at the same time, never mind two poles as well. I have occasionally managed one when struggling very slowly uphill at altitude.
 Dave Garnett 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

> How much research has been done on elbow/shoulder injury as result of inappropriate loading through the use of walking poles.

I've never used them. Can't help thinking that my knees are far better adapted to carrying my weight then my elbows are. I know many friends who swear by them but I really think I'd get golfer's elbow if I used them, just as I do if I overdo press-ups.

jon 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> The main reason for using poles is to help protect and prolong the hips/knees on descents.

Might be for you but for me it's propulsion. And of course stability in slushy snow and the like.

@ RogWilko... Roger, you MUST be doing it wrong!
 Rog Wilko 21 Mar 2016
In reply to jon:

> And of course stability in slushy snow and the like.

I can't disagree with that.

> @ RogWilko... Roger, you MUST be doing it wrong!

Not quite sure what you mean here, Jon.
 cathsullivan 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

> I find it difficult enough to coordinate two legs at the same time, never mind two poles as well....

Me too - that's why I only use one. Much more manageable.
 cathsullivan 21 Mar 2016
In reply to jon:

> Might be for you but for me it's propulsion. And of course stability in slushy snow and the like.

It's to help with balance for me. I don't really lean heavily on my walking pole normally.
 NottsRich 21 Mar 2016
In reply to cathsullivan:

Would your balance improve by not using poles and constantly challenging your various small stabilising muscles?

One good reason not to use walking poles is the damage they can do to the ground at the sides of paths; loosening and eroding ground, damaging plant life and over a period of time making paths wider, muddier and more visible from afar.

These days I generally only use them on descents on stony or loose ground, where they allow you to have three points of contact and so improve stability.

T.

And to echo a comment already made: £145? Get over yourselves.

T.
 cathsullivan 21 Mar 2016
In reply to NottsRich:

> Would your balance improve by not using poles and constantly challenging your various small stabilising muscles?

As I said above, I'm not entirely sure. I used to think yes, but now I am more inclined towards no.
 Dave the Rave 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

> The human body has evolved over more than few years. It can actually cope with most things. And is designed to do most of the things it is asked to do well.

Nope. Ask an unfit body to do a long hillwalk and fatigue will soon make your gait abnormal.

> I would say that the two main advantages of poles are the upright posture and improved breathing, mentioned by Dave Cheetham, and the improved stability you get when moving on uncertain terrain (e.g. deep snow) with a heavy load.
Improved breathing:- I would agree. An upright posture promotes lung capacity. Also the fixation of the upper limbs when the poles are in contact with the ground, would allow the accessory muscles of inspiration to function aiding respiration.

Improved stability :- not so certain and certainly terrain dependant. Your upper limbs are designed to aid balance and having them fixed to the ground via a pole would ruin their effectiveness. I used to use two poles and found my balance worse when I stopped using them, this improved with normal gait and posture.
You also find yourself using the poles on terrian where you should be using your hands on the terrain, such as easy scrambles. It can be too much of a temptation to continue with the poles rather than fold them.

I've seen several walkers with dislocated shoulders from slipping and their arms staying in place as they were trapped in the wrist loops.
 Mr. Lee 21 Mar 2016

Is the fifth point really a 'reason'?
Removed User 21 Mar 2016

Amazing lack of research on the use of poles. Anyone know of any?

Don't use them myself. Prefer the maintain my gait without aids.
abseil 21 Mar 2016

Five good reasons to NOT use walking poles:

1. You don't need them.
2. They cost a fortune that would be better spent on chocolate or other food.
3. You could hit moles in the face with them, the poor little darlings.
4. Fights on Everest, in Chamonix etc. get much more dangerous.
5. You have to carry the effing things when you're not using them.
 TobyA 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Aly:

> When you title something as a 'Press Release' it usually means that there is something newsworthy to report.

Press releases are released TO the press FROM some organisation that wants people to know that information. Therefore the vast majority of press releases are now commercial stories - perhaps they have some "newsworthiness" but that's a value judgement but that's not the point. Every stupid survey that gets talked about in the media began its life as press release on some marketing bod's desk!
 TobyA 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

Don't ever try XC skiing Robert! Although I suspect in reality the lady doth protest too much.
Removed User 21 Mar 2016

This is a really interesting topic. As an IML (International Mountain Leader), at the start of every trek I see perhaps 80% of my clients with poles as they have seen articles saying that they should have them on any tough trek. The problem is that no one explains to them when and how to use them and I invariably spend the first day explaining how to hold and use them. I would say that only 10% end up using them efficiently and unless used properly, they are more of a danger than a help. Personally, although I carry them on most treks, I only use them if I am on my own if I want to "power climb", but I find them most suitable on steep, loose descents where I find that they provide an increased level of stability. I do have bad knees but I am not sure if they have ever helped with this problem.
 Andy Say 22 Mar 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

> No it isn't.

Yes it is.
 Phil Anderson 22 Mar 2016
In reply to Aly:
I couldn't agree more, and posted the same on a similar previous thread - http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/press.php?id=8066

Apparently "Press Release" means adverts on UKC - Here's the reply I got from Rob Greenwood of UKC...

"All Press Releases that are published on site are very much 'paid for' advertising and we try to make the distinction clear by putting 'Press Release' in the title (i.e. it's written/published by the brand/wall/manufacturer as opposed to UKC), but the fact the piece in question clearly states it was added by Manchester Climbing Centre does make it quite obvious - at least in my eyes - that it's a promotion of their own services.

In terms of further distinctions between editorial and advertorial, if you go to the News Page there is a definite line between the two (as it isn't a line we wish to blur due to reactions such as this) through the use separate columns and colour coding for each: yellow for the editorial, blue for the advertorial. This colour coding carries over to the Forums too.

That said, I am aware that this SHOULD be obvious to me as I manage the advertising on site. Hopefully that answers your questions and allays your fears."

Make of that what you will.

edit - Corrected link
Post edited at 09:58
 Andy Say 22 Mar 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

You can now get them cheaper. Result!

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=8127
 petestack 22 Mar 2016

> by distributing the weight between the upper and lower body muscles you can walk for prolonged periods of time.

I can walk for prolonged periods of time without poles.

In reply to Andy Say:

Excellent news! But if they could just get over themselves a little more...

T.
 Andy Say 22 Mar 2016
In reply to petestack:

> I can walk for prolonged periods of time without poles.

What about Czechs and Slovaks?
 planetmarshall 22 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

> Yes it is.

Pretty sure the human body wasn't designed to do anything. Probably not the place for that debate, though.
 jcw 22 Mar 2016
I haven't read this thread yet which already seems long, but I believe the use of poles is responsible for my loss of natural balance. So I've abandoned them and find myself tripping a great deal less and that I can walk up and down with my hands in my pockets again. Just a personal observation.
Post edited at 22:22
 top cat 23 Mar 2016

I used to swear by poles but now have very bad tennis elbow both sides as a result of using them. I'm in agony and have had to curtail all activity.........................

and they were 'invented' by ski tourers who found them useful when walking on ski tours [common in Scotland] esp. for stream crossings. I'm not saying that we invented the use of poles in the summer but I do recall never seeing anyone else using their ski poles in summer, other than me and my mates [late 70's]. We used to get comments from other hill users along the lines of 'have you seen the weather forecast//do you know something we don't? etc.

Sean Kelly 23 Mar 2016
Generally only use them in winter, but not religiously.
Pros:
However they are good for river/stream crossings especially if icy stones have to be negotiated, or checking river depth/footing, ot leaping over a small water channel.
Can be useful with a heavy sac, like walking into Shenaval or similar.
Also good for fast progress downhill on snow/icy terain in conjunction with crampons.
Cons:
Expensive kit
Extra weight
Can lead to bad posture and using arms instead of legs to get uphill.
They can freeze up in very cold weather so can't compress.
You have to find space or attachments in/on your sac.
Survive1 26 Mar 2016
I barely got down off Great Gable back to Seathwaite in bad weather this week. While I was getting frost nip, exhausted, soaked to my underwear (I weighed my wet clothes, 8kg), blown around, lost in the fog and turned back, the steep stone steps back down to the farm had turned into a stream. I was in danger the whole way down those slippery steps and without my walking poles for balance, I would have slipped or had to bum slide it all the way down.
Post edited at 22:16
 Jim Cooper 27 Mar 2016

I have been using walking poles/sticks on the hills for at least 20 years. While they are unquestionably useful and even essential for some (ie me) I am highly sceptical about the way many use them. Especially those of the ski stick design. If you have any, even minor, problem with hand/arm or shoulder the grip/handle is all wrong. Certainly some ski stick style poles have better grips than many but all are still poor. Of course it depends on why you use them. But if you have no particular need, are they at all beneficial apart from helping to expand the lungs or carry excessive loads?

The wrist loop method (using the loop to take some of the strain on the wrist) I never came to terms with. Frankly for most uses I have found a conventional walking stick handle better than the usual handle (though the walking stick handle needs to be used lower down so is less effective in helping to expand the lungs). Also I find two poles are more than twice as good as one.

I have recently acquired "Pacerpoles" and they are (for me) a revelation. I have no connection whatever with the makers but they can send me some free if they wish, especially as they cost £60 to £70! (half the price of the recommended Leki poles !!!).

Pacerpoles appear to be available only direct from the makers and not from shops etc.

The Pacerpoles have handles designed for the job in a manner that makes perfect sense when you see them and handle them. The grips are at an angle and cradle your hand in a much better manner than the ski stick style (even those that do slightly angle the grip to the stick) especially if you have any arthritic or joint problems that we all eventually get.

The Pacerpoles are only occasionally seen on the hills as yet. In my opinion they deserve greater use.

I would very much like to hear the opinion about these Pacerpoles from those with professional sports physiotherapy knowledge.

BnB 27 Mar 2016
In reply to dangle:

> I barely got down off Great Gable back to Seathwaite in bad weather this week. While I was getting frost nip, exhausted, soaked to my underwear (I weighed my wet clothes, 8kg)

How are you finding the Paramo gear?

tistimetogo 16 Apr 2016

Will go out of my way to never buy Leki poles having read this.

Will also remind people that there are plenty of cheaper alternatives to Leki that do the job just as well.
 Rob Exile Ward 16 Apr 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

Not only was the body not designed to do anything, it starts to fall apart after you get to 40 - anyone over that age is living on borrowed time!
 Rob Exile Ward 16 Apr 2016

That is a cr*p press release, which is a pity because I think that poles can be a game changer for many. It's no coincidence that walking poles have been pretty much de rigeur since the dawn of time - the pilgrim's walking staff, the shepherd's crook ... they served a purpose.

I'm a big enthusiast but I don't see many people using them very thoughtfully. I use them like ski poles, (for those who don't ski, pole placement is a pretty key skill) whether going up or down - I consciously place them so that I can either help lift my weight or reduce the strain on my knees braking on descent. Most people I see using them seem to be just waving them about poking them anywhere and hoping that they get lucky.
 TobyA 16 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> I use them like ski poles, (for those who don't ski, pole placement is a pretty key skill)

I presume by what you say, you mean alpine ski poles? Because clearly one advantage of using poles is for propulsion in just the way XC skiers use them (well classic style anyway, skate-style polling is different). This is also meant to be all jolly good for your heart as well, because we wouldn't be cynical enough to suggest the 'sport' of Nordic Walking https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_walking was really just a way of an XC ski pole manufacturer to make sure their business became a bit less seasonal, would we?
 thespecialone 16 Apr 2016

i can see the theory if you are caring a load in excess of 25 lbs and you are over 65yrs old, otherwise you will be knackered when you get to the crag with all that arm work, use them on descent or when caring more than 35 lbs winter sack. As a fitness instructor i suggest you get the quads and hamstrings up to scratch and that will take you to 65 then you can reconsider.
 rgold 17 Apr 2016
In reply to thespecialone:

> i can see the theory if you are caring a load in excess of 25 lbs and you are over 65yrs old, otherwise you will be knackered when you get to the crag with all that arm work, use them on descent or when caring more than 35 lbs winter sack. As a fitness instructor i suggest you get the quads and hamstrings up to scratch and that will take you to 65 then you can reconsider.

Ha! I fit the bill. I started using poles at 68 after surgery to replace a ruptured ACL. At first, I used them because my leg was both atrophied and proprioceptively challenged, but as I got better, I never gave them up, and now four years later I use them for trail-running as well. (My version of trail running is more like uphill shuffling, but pitiful as it is, it still feels like running to me.) I do load my poles going both up and down hill, but have never experienced any kind of arm fatigue; in fact I find they provide a pleasant and useful warmup for climbing.

Poles help me with everything, uphill is slightly easier, downhill is slightly less stressful, stability on rough ground when running is improved, I can plant them to vault over logs and other obstacles. I don't necessarily use them all the time; on level even terrain I just carry them in my hands (or perhaps put them away if such terrain is in the offing for a while) and I put them away for scrambling.

Balance is an issue as you age. My solution is to do some purposeful balance exercises. Nothing too fancy; standing on one foot of course, sometimes standing on one foot and bending down to touch the floor and then standing up again, and always standing on one foot or the other while brushing my teeth and doing other stationary chores. I'm ok with my eyes open, but at 72 have lost most of my ability to balance with my eyes closed.

I do feel that poles sometimes encourage an "unbalanced" approach to walking and running, as you careen from one pole plant to the next when you could instead be in equilibrium the entire time, but I've never felt the result of that is an actual loss of balancing ability. Perhaps this is partially because I compensate with other exercises, but I suspect that many of those who think poles decreased their balance were in fact going to lose some of it anyway just through the aging process. Most of my losses were before I started using poles and, with the addition of balancing exercises, I'm better than I was before "in spite" of pole use.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...