Mountain Photography

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NessaMay 13 Mar 2016
Hi All

I'm going to Everest Base Camp next year and I've always been keen on photography. You want to show off where you've been right?
Last year I visited Hawaii so I bought a decent camera, a Sony compact but I still spent a couple of hundred on it. However I still struggled with the camera and didn't get all the shots I wanted (granted I did get a load of good ones).
So question is do I persevere with my compact or go for an SLR like I've been advised by my travel company?
I don't want to come back with a load of pictures which do not do Nepal justice.
Please any help would be appreciated
Thank you
Ness
 ashaughnessy 14 Mar 2016
In reply to NessaMay:

Obvious question - exactly which Sony compact have you got?
Anthony
 beth 14 Mar 2016
In reply to NessaMay:

If what you have now is a compact with a tiny, tiny sensor -sub APSC, then a DSLR may/will improve the image quality. Otherwise it's more to do with the person behind the camera.
 mrphilipoldham 14 Mar 2016
In reply to NessaMay:

If the camera has a manual mode, learn how to use it. It'll improve pictures no end over the auto exposure options the camera provides.
interdit 14 Mar 2016
In reply to NessaMay:

> However I still struggled with the camera and didn't get all the shots I wanted

What shots did you want, but were not able to get?
Were you limited by your camera's abilities - sensor or lens quality, or lack of manual setting for example, or were you limited by your abilities?

An SLR will have a better sensor than your compact, but it will be heavier, bulkier and you will have to take a big lump of glass with you. None of this will guarantee you a better shot than your compact unless you have the skill to use it.

> Last year I visited Hawaii so I bought a decent camera, a Sony compact ...

As with the poster above, I am also interested in which camera you bought.
If in doubt about its abilities go on to Flickr and search for images taken with your model of camera -you may be surprised.
OP NessaMay 14 Mar 2016
In reply to NessaMay:

ok so I have a
Sony DSCHX60 Digital Compact High Zoom Travel Camera (20.4 MP, 30x Optical zoom)

It most probably is my lack of knowledge on how to get the most out of it tbh.

The shots I wanted in Hawaii were ones which showed the landscape as it was and as soon as the light dipped I struggled getting a none blurry shot. It became pot luck of which setting worked best in the end. So in Nepal Im after getting great shots of the landscape, knowing bright sunlight may cause me issues.
Thank you for your responses
Ness
interdit 14 Mar 2016
In reply to NessaMay:
Well, the DSCHX60 has a 1/2.3" sensor, which is one of the larger sensors in a compact (same size as Canon S100 and G16 - which are used by many on here, myself included), has PASM modes + twelvety-three scene modes and, though I can't find a DP Review entry, I'm not spotting any reviews slating the optics etc.

So, whilst not an SLR, it should be capable of decent images.
https://www.flickr.com/cameras/sony/dsc-hx60v/

If the light dipped then a camera with a larger sensor can capture cleaner images, and a lens faster than f/3.5 will gather more light.
If you were suffering from 'blur' this was most likely motion blur and you needed a faster shutter speed. You may have had to manually up the ISO setting to achieve this.
If the subject wasn't moving and things still blurred then a tripod / gorillapod or bracing against something solid may have helped.

edit:
Missed this bit:
> So in Nepal Im after getting great shots of the landscape, knowing bright sunlight may cause me issues.

The main issue with the bright sunlight is being able to see the image on the back of the screen, as you don't have a viewfinder.
Other than that, using something like Aperture Priority mode and a bit of +ve exposure compensation dial you will have no problems with the exposure due to the sun.
If the scene is really contrasty then you may have to make more compromises than with an SLR as your camera doesn't take RAW shots and so less can be recovered in post.

To sum up. Get out and really learn how to take decent shots with your current camera in a variety of conditions, as you probably aren't getting the best out of it - and then, once you have really got to grips with the camera and your technique, you will be in a position to know whether you would get more from an SLR.
An SLR on auto is a heavy lump to carry and a bit of a waste of money.
Post edited at 22:13
OP NessaMay 14 Mar 2016
In reply to interdit:

That's great thank you.
so you would say this camera would be suitable for my trek? I just need to do my homework?
Sometimes it works great for me, I just want to get the best pics. Also the packing lists advise SLRs so I thought that was the way to go.
One other thing, can you recommend a solar charger? do you use them?
Thanks
Ness
interdit 14 Mar 2016
In reply to NessaMay:

> That's great thank you.
> so you would say this camera would be suitable for my trek? I just need to do my homework?

Whoops - was editing my post as you replied - read above.

> One other thing, can you recommend a solar charger? do you use them?

I don't currently use one.
Have a good search on the forum - There have been plenty of threads in the past - but feel free to start another if they appear out of date.
OP NessaMay 14 Mar 2016
In reply to interdit:

You've been really helpful.
Thank you again.
Ill get to know the camera I have before I start wasting money.

Thank you
Ness
interdit 14 Mar 2016
In reply to NessaMay:

> You've been really helpful.

Hopefully helpful, but slightly inaccurate about the sensors above:
"DSCHX60 has a 1/2.3" sensor, which is one of the larger sensors in a compact (same size as Canon S100 and G16"

The Canons I compared your camera to do in fact have a larger 1/1.7" sensor.
Your Sony does actually have the standard smaller size sensor.

The rest of my advice stands though.
 mark s 15 Mar 2016
In reply to NessaMay:

trust me NO camera will do the valley justice.

as others have said,use manual and learn how to bracket shots.the very bright snow,dark rocks and sky dont come through on one shot easily
m0unt41n 15 Mar 2016
In reply to NessaMay:

Three points:

1. A compact camera in the hand is worth two DSLR in a rucksack.
2. On treks most shots will unsurprisingly be landscape (28mm'ish equiv) angle or of people (80mm'ish equiv) so huge zooms not really necessary.
3. A good photo is due to the person taking it and not the camera they are using.

JanBella 16 Mar 2016
In reply to NessaMay:

take a polariser filter and soft nd filter with you, dont forget a tripod and maybe a remote for some time lapses. shoot bracketed if you're unsure of your exposure. make sure you have lot of memory cards or a storage where you can back up stuff. have a look here as well:

http://www.janbellaphotographer.com/learn-with-jan/2015/8/25/travel-photogr...

nepal is ace i've been 5 years ago and planning to go again this year.
In reply to NessaMay:

Lots of good advice here. While I agree that the person pressing the shutter is the most important part of the equation, some cameras make it easier for the photographer. I own a Canon 7D, Lumix G6 CSC and an Olympus Pen mini. All great cameras but the one most intuitive to use and quickest to adjust in the field is the Canon 7D DSLR. It might be big but its as tough as nails and I always reach for it when the shots I'm taking really matters. Go for a DSLR. A used 7D with a 17 - 40 L lens F4 would set you back less than a grand and take stunning pics.
 chris fox 18 Mar 2016
In reply to NessaMay:

Don't get too hung up on messing up shots. I have plenty of film and slide shots from pre digital days in Nepal and looking back at them is still rewarding. Read up on white balance and how to shoot in manual to compensate for the white compared to the 18% grey. Otherwise you'll have wonderful white mountains and deep dark blue skies. There are plenty of tutorials on youtube.
 colinakmc 18 Mar 2016
In reply to NessaMay:
Most folk including pro,s get one good shot for every 10 so-so or rubbish shots (discuss, trolls!) so maybe the answer is just to take more pics, learn to bracket exposures, use your colour balance, take RAW and learn to process in Photoshop elements or Lightroom. I don't know whether your Sony takes RAW but for me it's the key to digital photography.
Also helpful is the old fashioned viewfinder especially in bright light. I have a LUMIX GF1 which is lovely and portable but I still reach for the Pentax SLR in bright light just to be able to compose properly.
OP NessaMay 19 Mar 2016

Took some great pictures today using different settings in the Peak District. Think I just needed to give myself some time with it.
Thank you all
Ness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...