NEWS: Probable Cuillin Winter Record for Wild and Gomersall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 16 Feb 2016
At the finish on Gars-bheinn, 4 kbOn Sunday 14th Feb Finlay Wild and Tim Gomersall pulled off probably the fastest ever traverse of the Cuillin main ridge in winter - a time of 6hrs 14mins & 17secs.

Read more
 Michael Gordon 16 Feb 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

Great stuff
 vscott 16 Feb 2016
Brilliant! (Those X-Alp boots are game changers for speedy stuff in winter.... )
Post edited at 18:49
 petestack 16 Feb 2016
Now added to the SHR 'Long Distance Records' (news item also posted) at:
http://www.scottishhillrunners.uk/LongDistanceRecords.aspx?LongDistanceReco...

Like I've said there, 'While we can't be 100% certain this is a record because we've never recorded one before, we're treating it as one unless anyone can advise us otherwise and would be surprised if it's not!'

So congrats to Fin and Tim on a quite startling achievement!
Post edited at 20:04
 Hay 17 Feb 2016
What a great effort.
 J Brown 17 Feb 2016

And all that was the day after he (FW) finished fourth, just ten seconds behind the winner, in the Carnethy 5 Hill Race in the Pentlands.

Amazing stuff!
 Purple 17 Feb 2016

They don't look very knackered!

Blimey.
 Mike Lates 18 Feb 2016

And for those who missed out the crest is still solid- http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=634930&new=8239254#x8239254
 Offwidth 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Mike Lates:

What are your thoughts on winter ridge records Mike.. conditions vary so much does it say more about when you do it ?
 Mike Lates 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> What are your thoughts on winter ridge records Mike.. conditions vary so much does it say more about when you do it ?

Overall I find speed records for mountaineering lead to underestimation of the challenge for the "average" mountaineer; trying to educate aspirants the other way round make me sound like a reet dour pessimist
Ben Moon summed it up well with "The record for the Cuillin Ridge was 3.5hrs and I thought how hard can it be? It ended up being one of the hardest things I've ever done."
In the guidebook I suggest that records, and the rules they abide by, should be of interest only for those trying to break it. Also suggested, as you say, conditions for winter are so variable that any claim of a record should be qualified particularly regarding an existing trail & ab tat or not. Fin distinctly seems to have avoided using the word record in his account and he is the most qualified person to make a call and their top to top time distinctly the fastest (Threlfall 11hrs no trail solo, Chadders +1 no trail 10hrs, Ashworth trail & tat 9hrs, Hawthorn some trail & tat 8hrs, Wild & Gomersall 6hrs trail & tat.)
Add to that the type of snow- last week was particularly friendly and weather perfect; those going for it this coming week will be a lot more scared!
Far more important to me is the sheer quality of the experience; anyone thinking of records rather than bathing in the afterglow is on a different wavelength to me.
 petestack 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Mike Lates:

> Overall I find speed records for mountaineering lead to underestimation of the challenge for the "average" mountaineer

> Fin distinctly seems to have avoided using the word record in his account and he is the most qualified person to make a call

> Far more important to me is the sheer quality of the experience; anyone thinking of records rather than bathing in the afterglow is on a different wavelength to me.

Like!

Offwidth 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Mike Lates:

Cheers. I also was wondering if these games might evolve... maybe pre-broken trails on some sections? This was after listening to Tommy Caldwell, on Grimer's Jam Crack Podcast, on how styles evolved on El Cap and how the style they themselves used on Dawn Wall evolved (the podcast is an interesting mix of insightful interview and madcap humour if you missed it).
 Mike Lates 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Any excuse to listen to Grimer is good; will do ta.
 galpinos 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Mike Lates:

It's one of the best Podcasts out there!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...