NEWS: Climbers Missing on Ben Nevis - Appeal For Info

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 16 Feb 2016
Rachel and Tim - it's thought they could have been dressed much like this, 3 kbLochaber MRT have appealed for information on two climbers missing on Ben Nevis since the weekend. Rachel Slater and Tim Newton were camped by the CIC hut.

Read more
 BALD EAGLE 16 Feb 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

bump
 Greasy Prusiks 16 Feb 2016

Bump.
 petegunn 16 Feb 2016

Hopefully they will be found soon, we were climbing on Monday and saw their tent by the side of the hut (gas bottles).
There were some reports that they may have been avalanched in or around Observatory Gully as Point 5 was maybe one of the routes that they were headed for.
We headed up ledge Route and came down via the CMD arete where we could see 4 teams climbing point 5 so hopefully they will be able to report back if there was avalanche debris at the bottom.
In reply to petegunn:

Unlikely they would have been heading for Point 5 as they both did the route last year. Fingers crossed one of those teams has some knowledge that they can share with MR.
 Lucy Wallace 16 Feb 2016

Update on today's search from Lochaber MRT. Sounds like they are out in horrendous conditions. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=950204641695406&id=12673054...
 1poundSOCKS 16 Feb 2016
In reply to Snoweider:

In case you don't have Facebook...

Very challenging conditions during search for Rachel and Tim. 80/90mph winds with windchill giving temperature which feels like -20c. Two of the rescue team men avalanched traversing below No 3 Gully Buttress.
Today there were 36 people out from Lochaber MRT, RAF MRT and 3 members of SARDA Scotland. After 5 hours of searching, it was decided that conditions were too dangerous to continue search which was focused on Coire na Ciste and South Trident Buttress area following a possible sighting of 2 people fitting their description climbing in this area early Sunday afternoon.
If you were on South Trident Buttress on Sunday could you call Police Scotland on 101 and ask for Fort William Police.
The attached photographs are of their tent at the CIC hut and a picture of them on Ben Nevis last year. If anyone saw anyone around this tent late morning on Sunday or anywhere on the Ben we would much appreciate any information.
Also pictures of avalanche low down in Observatory Gully and another of the team searching above the Garadh in Coire na Ciste
Please forward this post to as many links as possible.
 James FR 16 Feb 2016

Bump
 balmybaldwin 17 Feb 2016
In reply to James FR:

Bump
 Trangia 17 Feb 2016

Bump
 herbe_rouge 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Bump
 galpinos 17 Feb 2016
In reply to herbe_rouge:

I keep hoping it'll be good news whenever this is bumped.
 Ava Adore 17 Feb 2016

I see from BBC news that they are aiming to resume the search today. Crossing everything.

Was very disturbed by one of the comments on yesterday's FB update from Mountain Rescue where someone had a full on rant about how irresponsible Tim and Rachel were putting Mountain Rescue at risk. It was inappropriate to reply on the FB thread but don't these people realise that Tim and Rachel's family and friends will be reading these posts? Regardless whether they're right or not (I personally think "not" as I know Tim and I know that he's an experienced and safe climber), NOT the time and place.
In reply to Ava Adore:

No, I'm afraid it's been suspended again because of very bad conditions.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/17/ben-nevis-search-for-missing...
 Ava Adore 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Thanks Gordon. Sh*t.
 climber34neil 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Ava Adore:

Agreed! Let's hope there is some positive news soon
 Stu Tyrrell 17 Feb 2016
Search about to resume. Plus 3 others missing?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-35593397
Post edited at 13:36
 Iain Thow 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

They've just found the three guys reported missing in the Lowthers.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-35593546
 chris_s 17 Feb 2016
Helicopter search had resumed but now called off - chopper has been diverted to another incident.

Edit: Source for that is BBC News Channel.
Post edited at 15:56
 chris_s 17 Feb 2016
New incident is another avalanche in "north Lochaber" with people possibly trapped.
https://twitter.com/kkabdn/status/699986024328523776

Edit: From Police Scotland:

"Following a reported avalanche in the Creag Meagaidh area, Search and Rescue Helicopter 951 is currently attending.

An update will be issued as soon as further information is available."
Post edited at 16:10
 Iain Thow 17 Feb 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Sadly one of the three rescued from the Lowthers has died. Hopefully the other two will be OK. They are now in hospital.
 chris_s 17 Feb 2016

Four rescue teams on way to Creag Meagaidh avalanche - reports of people buried.
 abr1966 17 Feb 2016
In reply to chris_s:

Any further news? I was thinking I'd take my lad up to the north face tomorrow but will keep out of the way now....
Taff2509 17 Feb 2016

2 dead and three injured after havalanche. Updated on bbc news at 10
 James FR 18 Feb 2016

Fairly detailed update yesterday (Wednesday) on https://www.facebook.com/lochabermrt/

Here's a copy and paste:

"Sadly conditions on Ben Nevis are preventing us from going out to look for Rachel and Tim. We managed to get R951 as a small window in the weather allowed an aerial search which unfortunately did not find anything.

Please keep forwarding in case there is someone who met/talked to/saw Rachel and Tim on either Saturday or Sunday.

While R951 was here, we received another call out for a reported avalanche on Creag Mheagaidh. The team were able to respond immediately with assistance of R951 who managed to get the team members to the location of the incident within 10 minutes of the call coming in. The incident was on the Sash/Pantomime area of the inner corrie. The picture shows the size and location of incident. Unfortunately, one of the casualties is a fatality and the other is seriously injured in the Belford hospital.

The photograph shows the location of incident today

Lochaber Mountain Rescue Team was assisted by Glencoe MR, Cairngorm MR, Glenmore Lodge MR as well as R951 with a total of 67 rescuers and one dog from Lochaber.

We also had a small report of an overdue in Glendessary which fortunately was a well intentioned shout.
If you are intending to go out please check out the SAIS web page as conditions are challenging."
 Greasy Prusiks 18 Feb 2016
In reply to James FR:

Absolute heroes.
 Stu Tyrrell 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Agreed - Bump
Chris Heff 18 Feb 2016
The Ben was so busy, rack your brains everyone! Call 101 if you think even for a second you saw a turquoise jacket or purple helmet. They need to narrow this search down!

You aren't going to get in trouble for trying to help, any info is good info!
Post edited at 15:10
 James FR 18 Feb 2016

Another update on Lochaber MRT Facebook page (I hope people don't mind me posting these, but some don't have access to Facebook):

"The attached link to the Highlands and Islands Police Division Facebook page includes a statement from the families of Rachel and Tim.

https://www.facebook.com/HighlandIslandsPoliceDivision

Although the post indicates that the search remains suspended, we are hopeful that we will be able to take advantage of a small window in the weather this afternoon and use the helicopter, which is here at moment to extend search. We will be back out on foot as soon as conditions allow to carry out the search safely.

The conditions continue to remain challenging and we would advise anyone planning to head out in Lochaber to take look at the SAIS web page: http://www.sais.gov.uk/lochaber/ as the avalanche hazard remains considerable. We are not saying that you should not go out onto the hills just to be aware, pick an appropriate route for conditions and stay safe.

The Team would also ask if any media requests for information at the moment could go through the Highlands and Islands Division of Police Scotland on 01463 720 396. We don't have the resources to handle the volume of enquiries this week.

We would also like to thank everyone who has provided information to assist with our search. Please keep sharing as there may just be someone who was climbing on Saturday or Sunday who is not aware of the need for information."
 stp 24 Feb 2016

I've seen Rachel post on here so definitely a UKCer. Perhaps Tim too?

Another report today...

https://www.facebook.com/HighlandIslandsPoliceDivision

Searches continue on Ben Nevis for missing climbers

Police Scotland and partners continue to co-ordinate searches in the Ben Nevis area for missing climbers, Rachel Slater and Tim Newton.

Today (Wednesday 24th February 2016) 11 members of the RAF Mountain Rescue Team in addition to Lochaber Mountain Rescue personnel searched areas of the mountain including Coire Leas, North East Buttress and Observation Gulley.

Ground conditions are being closely monitored with both families being kept updated.

Police would continue to appeal to anyone with information to assist the search to make contact on 101.
 fmck 24 Feb 2016

Amazing effort being put into LMRT rescue. They really have pushed it on this one. Watching their facebook page is a education in its self in those conditions.

I owe them one for winter 1984. They turned a bad night on the ben into one of my my best good luck stories to tell for evermore.

5# heroes.
 stp 16 Mar 2016

Sounds like they're now presumed dead. Very sad news indeed and condolences to their families and friends.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/search-called-missing-ben-nevis-755354...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...