Polartec Thermal Pro

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
19G 08 Feb 2016

Does anyone have any experience with Polartec Thermal Pro? I need to buy a fleece layer, to wear in between a soft shell layer and a base layer. From what I can see, it seems to be one of the warmest fabrics for fleeces, but I'm finding that hard to confirm. Any guidance on how warm or breathable it feels, or what the alternatives might be, would be appreciated.
Post edited at 12:34
 iksander 08 Feb 2016
In reply to 19G:

It comes in lots of different finishes, the common things being warm and breathable/ little or no wind resistance. Best used when very cold and/or windless - I'd say it's not much good for active use in the UK (where it's mild and windy) for those reasons. Could work under a windproof if you're stationary but you'd quickly overheat when active imo.
19G 09 Feb 2016
In reply to iksander:

Thanks very much for your help, iksander, that's useful to know.
Gilad N 09 Feb 2016
In reply to 19G:

Polartec Thermal Pro is an inside brush that exists in several Polartec fabric finishes and it does offer one of the loftiest fleece around. An even loftier Polartec fabric is the High Loft - a hair, fur like finish.

If you really want a good mid layer, especially for active use, go for the Power Dry (if you run hot), Powerstretch (warmer) or Powerstretch Pro (warmest). These fabrics have some stretch to them so are more fitted and will wick sweat faster.

Do note that those are midlayers only, and without a shell won't be useful as you will lose the heat retention with the lightest of wind.
In reply to 19G:

It's very warm (as a pure midlayer fleece), and very breathable. But that breathability comes at the price of having almost no wind resistance. It's also pretty stretchy.

How warm you need it to be is up to your physiology and the conditions you intend to use it in.

And, of course, there are many different varieties and weights of the fabric. The hiloft variant is probably the warmest for weight of any fleece fabric, but pretty useless without a shell layer to stop warmth being stripped away by the merest breeze...
19G 12 Feb 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

Gilad, captain, thanks very much for your advice. I decided to go to go with the Powerstretch Pro in the end instead, as I don't want to overheat. I have a soft shell to wear over the top.

Thanks again for the tips,

19G

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...