How to photograph a slab ascent?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greasy Prusiks 01 Feb 2016
Evening all,
I've always struggled to take pictures of slabs that show the gradient and exposure of a route. My pictures tend to make hard slabs look like shallow walks! Does anyone have any advice on how to improve this?
Cheers
Greasy
 felt 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Take the photo as usual from above and then rotate it 90 degrees when showing it.
 deacondeacon 01 Feb 2016
 FactorXXX 01 Feb 2016

Hold the camera parallel to the floor as opposed to tilting it upwards to capture the full height of the cliff.
Probably easier said than done the vast majority of the time!
Google 'Photography Keystoning' for a more detailed explanation.
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 01 Feb 2016

When I had my SLR I preferred using a wide lens sometimes fisheye and shot from level with or above the climber to make the runout look worse as these wide shots can accentuate distance a little.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Mark Reeves:

What Mark said, a wide angle really makes a difference.
 HeMa 02 Feb 2016

Thanks for the advice all. I'll start playing around with some wider angles and longer distance shots.
 Toerag 02 Feb 2016

It's all about the fingers - slabs invariably have tiny holds, so shots where you can see the fingers crimping like a disease work well - google image search 'the very big and the very small'.
 HeMa 02 Feb 2016
In reply to Toerag:

Indeed, so when takin' a pic from close by (normally from above), try to capture the apparent lack of holds.

The million mile stare is also good (but make sure, the hold one is staring is also visible... perhaps even in one of the focal points of the rule of thirds).
 planetmarshall 02 Feb 2016
 Adam Long 02 Feb 2016

Some conflation here of framing and angle-of-view.

As mentioned above, using a wideangle lens and pointing it up will make the slab appear slabbier due to keystoning, giving you the 'shallow walks' issue. So avoid this. Shooting from the side is generally better. Shooting down tends to remove any visual clues to the angle, although again a very wide lens may make it appear slabbier.

Framing the shot relatively wide (doesn't mean a wide lens necessarily, just back up) allows you to include context, and particularly the horizon, which gives viewers a reference for the angle of the rock.
 PeteWilson 04 Feb 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

like this comment very much deacon cheers! :p
 Sean Kelly 05 Feb 2016
 Fraser 05 Feb 2016
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Hmm, I'd have to disagree there! It's undoubtedly a cracking photo but it doesn't show that is a slab. At least not to me.
 Robert Durran 05 Feb 2016
In reply to Fraser:

> Hmm, I'd have to disagree there! It's undoubtedly a cracking photo but it doesn't show that is a slab. At least not to me.

I suapect some people's idea of a good slab photo is one which makes it look like a wall.
 Fraser 05 Feb 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

Ah yes, I never thought of that perspective! In that case its a great effort.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...