Scotch Midges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 13 Jan 2016
I haven't been outside of the winter months for decades. What are the best midge free months? And the ones to definitely avoid?
 BnB 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

June to September is the worst period. In fact I'd go so far as to say they aren't normally a problem outside those months, with the proviso that a fortnight either side of that window can be bad and you might still get the odd rare nibble as late as December in a mild finish to the year.
OP Trangia 13 Jan 2016
In reply to BnB:

Thanks for that. It looks like late April/May being the best?
 leon 1 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:
If you go around calling things Scotch it might be advisable not to go back for a few more decades yet
Post edited at 09:11
 CurlyStevo 13 Jan 2016
In reply to BnB:
My experience differs.

I regularly go camping with my parents in May for a week. Very early may midges are normally there but more of a oh look there's a single midge biting me type experience. By mid may West Coast Scotland is normally pretty bad for Midges, enough so that you wouldn't want to be eating outside in the evening on a campsite. This is based on camping in Skye, NW highlands, Lochaber and Arran. OK sure they aren't as horrific as they would be in mid august when you can literally see them liberally spread throughout the air as you drive along (in some locations) but still they are typically quite annoying.

That said Midges don't like wind or sun, as long as it's sunny (and not a few hours from sunrise / sunset) or windy (above 5mph) you won't get bothered too much by them. Scotland is a windy place. I've camped for a week in mid June in the NW highlands and hardly seen a midge.

If you aren't camping and you don't intend to stay still for long periods in one place then I wouldn't think they'll bother you too much most of the time, but occasionally they will probably just pretty bad. Equally if you are climbing and you are in the sun or the wind they won't be too much trouble either.

If you are camping after mid may your best chance of staying midge free is to camp as close to the sea as possible (preferably without any bog / marsh between you and the sea). Generally I rarely plan to cook on the campsite in the midge months, going to the pub is a much more pleasant experience.
Post edited at 09:14
 nicmac 13 Jan 2016
In reply to leon 1:

as in vodka midges or gin midges!
I like gin......me.
 tony 13 Jan 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> If you are camping after mid may your best chance of staying midge free is to camp as close to the sea as possible (preferably without any bog / marsh between you and the sea).

Ha! I remember camping near Gairloch one June (the one near Loch Maree) and being bitten to buggery on the beach.

Only a hill 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Depends on the year. Last year I hiked the CWT in June and hardly saw any midges at all until I got north of Ullapool. It was too cool, windy and wet.
 CurlyStevo 13 Jan 2016
In reply to tony:

OH I wasn't saying you wouldn't get bitten on the beach! Firstly it depends on the location, secondly if the wind is down and its not sunny you will get bitten still, just maybe less!
 CurlyStevo 13 Jan 2016
In reply to nicmac:
gin? in the highlands? its a dram of whisky up here you might get some very odd looks if you ask for a midge of whisky!
Post edited at 09:50
 nicmac 13 Jan 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I was just backing up the statement regarding "Scotch" rather than Scots or Scottish
Scotch being a drink!
Being a Mac I do appreciate the difference
 CurlyStevo 13 Jan 2016
In reply to nicmac:

Sorry about that I'm an Englisher

What do you think to this then?
http://www.smws.co.uk/contact
 sheep 13 Jan 2016
In reply to nicmac:

> I was just backing up the statement regarding "Scotch" rather than Scots or Scottish

> Scotch being a drink!

A horrible american affectation! Rabbie Burns described himself as Scotch, that's good enough for me.

(Scotch = coming from, or belonging to, Scotland)
 BnB 13 Jan 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

My experience is based on Skye, where I live for a portion of the year. It's a windy place so not the worst spot. They arrive in May and exactly when alters from year to year. This year it was almost July before they became a real problem.
 CurlyStevo 13 Jan 2016
In reply to BnB:

One year it was so dry they were reported not to be a problem in glen brittle even with a low wind in mid summer.

The year I stayed there in mid may they were pretty annoying in the evening even right on the beach.
Rigid Raider 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

A couple of mosquito coils positioned around the tent entrance works well.
 ThunderCat 13 Jan 2016
In reply to leon 1:

> If you go around calling things Scotch it might be advisable not to go back for a few more decades yet

I genuinely never realised that 'Scotch' is viewed as pejorative when applied to people...

I thought Scottish and Scotch were the same (although by default I would always use 'Scottish')

Bulls Crack 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Research has shown that if you run in a tight figure-of eight at 6mph midges will leave you alone
 CurlyStevo 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

they don't bite though do they
 DerwentDiluted 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Research has shown that if you run in a tight figure-of eight at 6mph midges will leave you alone

They, like everyone else, will be too busy laughing to eat.
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Not yet!

Research is currently underway into breeding the midge with the ants - once we have perfected this then a whole new independence debate will follow...
 DerwentDiluted 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

> Research is currently underway into breeding the midge with the ants -

Mints?
OP Trangia 13 Jan 2016
In reply to leon 1:

I do apologise for confusing your nationality with your national drink, but I am amazed, indeed mightily impressed at the way you and your fellow Scots have flown to the defence of your horrid blood sucking little insects. They might be pests, but by God they are Scottish pests through and through.

You are obviously so proud of the little blighters......
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Thank You. Added to the cunning plan...
 CurlyStevo 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

To be fair I don't think most Scottish people like calling anything Scotch, Whisky included. Don't think I heard the term once whilst living up here (for about 6 years now on and off)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...