UKC

VIDEO: An Eagle's Eye View of Cheddar Gorge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Videos 16 Dec 2015
[An Eagle's Eye View of Cheddar Gorge]
D S Linnett of Bald Eagle Productions has sent in his latest aerial offering, this time featuring popular climbing spot Cheddar Gorge.

Watch the video: http://www.ukclimbing.com/videos/play.php?i=2910
 Mick Ward 16 Dec 2015
In reply to UKC Videos:

Exquisite! Thank you so much.

Mick
 The Ivanator 16 Dec 2015
In reply to UKC Videos:

Another Beaut Dave, fun to spot lines I've climbed as the view circulates, Stone Cold Fever looks as good from the air as it climbs
 BALD EAGLE 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Exquisite! Thank you so much.

> Mick

Hey Mick thanks a million for the kind words and glad you enjoyed my wee video!
Cheers and a very Merry Xmas to you
Dave
 BALD EAGLE 16 Dec 2015
In reply to The Ivanator:

> Another Beaut Dave, fun to spot lines I've climbed as the view circulates, Stone Cold Fever looks as good from the air as it climbs

Hey Ivan many thanks and I really appreciate your appreciation!
Cheers and a very Merry Xmas to you
Dave
 BALD EAGLE 17 Dec 2015
In reply to UKC Videos:

Just a quick bit of background information for anyone interested, though I suspect a lot of you folks have visited Cheddar Gorge to walk or climb over the years.

Formed from carboniferous limestone, Cheddar Gorge is Britain's biggest gorge and one of the great natural wonders of the UK. It is situated on the southern edge of the Mendip Hills in Somerset and is a very popular destination for tourists, walkers, cavers and climbers alike.

I am aware that quadcopter's or drones can be a bit noisy and intrusive, so I shot this video in the early morning and late evening to try to capture the best light, but also to minimise disturbing any other people in the area.

Anyway I hope this video inspires a few people to pay gorgeous Cheddar a visit, whether to clip some bolts by the roadside crags or even take on the mighty Coronation Street which is indubitably one of the all time UK classic rock climbs!

Cheers and happy climbing

Dave
 BusyLizzie 18 Dec 2015
In reply to UKC Videos:

Wonderful video!! Never been there, but would like to go walking there now (climbing looks a bit steep for me!!).

L
 deepstar 18 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> Wonderful video!! Never been there, but would like to go walking there now (climbing looks a bit steep for me!!).

> A link of these two climbs would make a fun day out at Cheddar, combined with a walk down the southern side descending "Jacob's Ladder."

IPPurewater 18 Dec 2015
In reply to UKC Videos:

Another great video Dave. Thanks for that !
 Mick Ward 18 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> ...(climbing looks a bit steep for me!!).

That's exactly what I thought! Although it's wonderful to watch, it's also dizzying and I thought, "Bloody hell, I couldn't get up any of that." And then I remembered that I've done dozens of routes at Cheddar. So honestly, don't get put off. It's much friendlier when you get there and there are routes for everyone.

The only caveat I'm make is that Sunday afternoons in summer can be unpleasantly noisy and manic (from non-climbers). And personally I wouldn't go on a Bank Holiday. But it's a wonderful place, saved from neglect by Martin Crocker, Gordon Jenkin and many others. We're very much in their debt.

Mick

BALD EAGLE 18 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> Wonderful video!! Never been there, but would like to go walking there now (climbing looks a bit steep for me!!).

>

> L

Hey Lizzie and a maa-hoosive thanks for the kind words as it makes all those hours of editing worthwhile!

There are some very nice climbs at a modest grade which are well worth doing and Deepstars suggestion is a good one!
An alternative agreeable day out would be to spend the morning (hopefully in the sun!) on the French Pinnacle which is about a 10 minute walk from the road up on Cheddar Gorge North to tick off Original (Diff) and Mariette Routes (VD) for starters:
Original Route (D)
Mariette Route (VD)

And then a relocation to Cheddar South for the afternoon sun. You could climb up the nice roadside severe called Jill:
Jill (S 4a)

From the top of Jill it is only a short walk for the start of the classic mountaineering outing "Knights Climb":
Knight's Climb (WW) (D)
Do not be put off by the appearance of the 1st pitch, the route goes at Diff with a harder move (HS?) of the pinnacle which can be avoided on the 3rd and final pitch! Once you have topped out you can hopefully enjoy the setting sun as you walk along the top before descending down the steps of Jacob's Ladder before finishing off with a cool fizzy drink in the village...
Cheers
Dave
 BusyLizzie 18 Dec 2015
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Woo, that looks like a great day out. Now part of my wish list for the new year.
Lizzie x
 BusyLizzie 18 Dec 2015
In reply to deepstar:

Thank you!

L
 BusyLizzie 18 Dec 2015
In reply to Mick Ward:

Ok, I'll see what I can do (gotta persuade a chum to go with me).
L
 pneame 18 Dec 2015
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

> I shot this video in the early morning and late evening

This would explain why it looks all lovely and mellow, quite unlike my memories of the dark and foreboding place in my memory.
I would either be in my pit or the pub (hopefully) at those times
Outstanding video
 tmawer 19 Dec 2015
In reply to UKC Videos:

Is the shot of the most continuous piece of rock "High Rock" (I'm guessing it is!) with Coronation Street on it? Looks lovely. Do people base jump from your final shooting point.....looks a long way down! Lovely video.....you coming to the Lakes to make some?
 bpmclimb 19 Dec 2015
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Hi Dave, really enjoyed both this and the Wintours videos. One day when I'm rich and famous I'll commission a West Cornwall one
In reply to UKC Videos:

Fantastic video from my favourite film maker. It deserves an Oscar !
 BALD EAGLE 19 Dec 2015
In reply to pneame:

> This would explain why it looks all lovely and mellow, quite unlike my memories of the dark and foreboding place in my memory.

> Outstanding video

Hey pneame many thanks for the kind critique and Cheddar a dark and foreboding place? It is a soft and fluffy place honestly! Especially in the depths of winter with a bracing wind howling through the gorge...
Cheers
Dave
 BALD EAGLE 19 Dec 2015
In reply to tmawer:

> Is the shot of the most continuous piece of rock "High Rock" (I'm guessing it is!) with Coronation Street on it? Looks lovely.

Yep at the start of the second part when Arnie rises up (Rise of the Drones!) is High Rock and you can see the line of Corrie and the famous Shield very clearly!

> Do people base jump from your final shooting point.....looks a long way down!

My final shooting point is at the top of the deliciously exposed Sunset Buttress and has been used by base jumpers in the past. I was climbing in the gorge years ago and a certain Mr Emmett + his mate did a cheeky quick jump from this point! They only had a split second before having to deploy their parachutes...

> Lovely video.....you coming to the Lakes to make some?

Yep I love the Lakes and have 1 or 2 climbing film projects in mind so watch this space...
Clauso 19 Dec 2015
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Nice video... If you look closely, at about 1:37, then it's just possible to make out the scars left over from Bronze Age cheese mining operations.
 BALD EAGLE 19 Dec 2015
In reply to bpmclimb:

> Hi Dave, really enjoyed both this and the Wintours videos. One day when I'm rich and famous I'll commission a West Cornwall one

Hi Mr bpm and glad you have enjoyed my wee videos! One day when I'm rich and famous I'll film you a West Cornwall "Thermal Flying" free of charge...
Cheers
Dave
 BALD EAGLE 19 Dec 2015
In reply to I like climbing:

> Fantastic video from my favourite film maker. It deserves an Oscar !

Hey ILC and thanks for taking the time to post your kind words! More likely to win a golden raspberry I suspect...
 BusyLizzie 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Clauso:

> Nice video... If you look closely, at about 1:37, then it's just possible to make out the scars left over from Bronze Age cheese mining operations.

Re-reading this thread on a peaceful Sunday morning (and exploring pictures of the climbs referred to above), and SO NEARLY believed for a moment in Bronze Age cheese mining... My brain must have have switched off for the weekend.
 BALD EAGLE 20 Dec 2015
In reply to IPPurewater:

> Another great video Dave. Thanks for that !

Cheers IP and glad you enjoyed it! Dave
 BALD EAGLE 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Clauso:

> Nice video... If you look closely, at about 1:37, then it's just possible to make out the scars left over from Bronze Age cheese mining operations.

Hey Darren very well spotted! However not only the scars from Bronze Age cheese mining, but remnants of scrumpy drilling and the ruinous remains of unspeakable owl bothering from a bygone era...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...