GROUP TEST: Winter Hard Shells

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 04 Dec 2015
Shell Montage, 4 kbWith its wet and windy weather, high aerobic output and general wear and tear, winter is hard on your waterproofs. So what makes the ideal shell for Scottish winter climbing and mountaineering?

We've reviewed ten of the best from leading manufacturers. The jackets on test here have been scored on a number of essential features: Weight; hem length; overall fit; helmet and harness compatibility; extra features; general robustness; and value for money.

Read more
 PPP 04 Dec 2015
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Just a rant, but could we have comparison tables to have sortable columns? So you could sort by price, weight, rating, etc. Thanks.
 Jack Geldard 04 Dec 2015
In reply to PPP:

Hi PPP,

Thanks for the feedback, I think we'll look at how we display these reviews for next year, and hopefully improve the table format (to a) make it better to use, and b) make it easier for us to make!!)

Thanks,

Jack
 gav 04 Dec 2015
This is definitely the best comparison review on here that I've read. Good analysis of the important features of each, which is useful as I'm having a bit of a toss-up decided on a new shell at the mo.
Post edited at 15:48
 PPP 04 Dec 2015
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor:

Thanks!
 TobyA 05 Dec 2015

Dan, do you think you might have a longish neck? Or possibly I have a short one! I found the Hymir hood goes over different helmets with no issue at all, including a Meteor. It's funny - I have no real evidence to support my position but I've always thought that foam helmets like the Meteor are quite low volume compared to hybrid and particularly to cradle helmets. I do think hoods go over my Meteor more easily than they go over Camp and Mammut helmets that I've also got in the attic from past UKC reviews (both hybrid styles).
In reply to TobyA: Long neck? I don't think so Toby, it's never something I've noticed anyway. For comparison with the Meteor in the review I used an old Camp High Star, a dead simple plastic shell helmet that's definitely lower volume.

HeMa 07 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA:

A general notation on the hood vs helmets...

Meteors are actually quite low profile... But the old Ecrin Roc or the Sirocco are actually quite *BIG*. As in, I find it hard to find a hood that accommondates my Sirocco. Sure, I ain't big (S or M) and might have a big head (need to use size 2 on Petzl lids... but I'm sure quite a few have to use the size 2), even if I can get the hood to fit over the helmet, lookin' up is still quite hard...
 gingerbex 07 Dec 2015

Hi.
Just a bit of a plea - any chance that you could put wording at the beginning of each product (or at the start of the article if not applicable) to indicate which of these (and for future items) are available in women's sizes (or a women's version)? Its frustrating to go through to every website to find that the product is only available in male sizing with no female equivalent. The reviews are great, and well written, but not nearly as useful to us lacking a Y chromosome. Its a problem with several of the articles on UKC/UKH. I do appreciate that there is less available in a women's cut than men, and some of these jackets are, but I can only find that out by going to the manufacturers website.
Reviews in other mediums (for example, I've seen in Trail magazine) indicate with a male/female symbol whether versions are available, and yes, there aren't always, but at least gives an idea.
Failing that, and even better, do a review for us girls only. I'd wear multiple jackets throughout the winter, and write them up if you need a female's opinion, send them my way!
In reply to gingerbex: Good thought, and I'm sorry for the omission! Something we obviously need to work on

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...