UKC

NEWS: FRI NIGHT VID: Climb Ride

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 27 Nov 2015
Climb Ride, 3 kbThis week's Friday Night Video will please both climbers and mountain bikers. It's a quirky fusion of both activities which will make you want to grab your bike, head to the hills and scramble up a rockface before speeding down the valleys.

Read more
 odari 27 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Not bad, but a bit disappointing: I was expecting at least a section of slack lining followed by base jump with the bike.
 gethin_allen 27 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Why does every shot in recent films have to be a panning / zooming shot? you don't get a chance to actually take in what's going on in the scene, and the close up slow motion stuff just disturbs the flow of the ride and suggests that the subject matter isn't actually that interesting so you need to do something flashy with the camera to disguise this.
 leewil86 27 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC News:

not really climbing i was watching that hoping there would be some snip bits of climbing ....really scrambling awkwardly to the top then riding down again.......not my bag maaaaan!
 Bulls Crack 27 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Why would you want to scramble with a bike on your back and then get someone to film you? There's a public bridleway about a kilometre away btw

JamieAyres 27 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Ooh. Bit negative there some people. There has to be lots of panning shots to justify the money spent on the drone I guess. Yea, maybe going for a scramble with your bike might seem a bit pointless to some, but then all climbing is utterly pointless when you get right down to it, isn't it? That's part of it's appeal, surely?
I thought it was a nice bit of fun myself and I quite like the slo-mo jumps n stuff, but then I'm old and easily amused.
 Robert Durran 28 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Well that really was annoying bollocks at many levels. I wish they'd just cut the scrambling bit out and stuck it on some biking website so that I'd never have come across it.
 gsum 28 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Good video, shame about the rubbish racket.
 Mark Collins 28 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Quite interesting for me thanks, as I was doing those exact same scrambles earlier in the year, arriving at ODG for dawn and then scrambling up a variety of routes with only the sheep for company, and then back to the valley for lunchtime or sooner. That bike looks a lot handier for walking with than the fully assembled ones I see folk lugging up hills in the Lakes.
 droberts 28 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome video, Lots of hard work goes into making a video like this, and scrambling with a 15kg bike strapped to your back is never going to look easy!

i think everyone who is being negative about this is I'm assuming is just jealous as they are sat at home unable to ride and climb something like this but love being critical about other peoples adventures.
 neilh 28 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Out of interest are those bridle ways in the video or footpaths?
 jonnie3430 28 Nov 2015
In reply to neilh:

> Out of interest are those bridle ways in the video or footpaths?

I don't know, but did you see his back in one of the clips! He should have been using a mudguard, think of the environmental damage the extra washing will do!

"Out of interest," LOL!!! "I think he may have been doing something illegal, but I'm not sure? What is the youth coming to these days, never would have people trespassing on the hills in my day, we stayed at home and knitted tea cosies."
 HimTiggins 28 Nov 2015
In reply to neilh:

I wondered that so looked it up, and to be fair it is a bridleway. Also, I would think gaining height by a scramble a lot more fun than grinding up hill by foot or bike. I'm really not a fan of bikes on footpaths or unnecessary erosion, such as skidding the bike round some of the corners, but on the whole I was grumbling a lot less than I thought I would (I like grumbling, old before my time!) and mostly enjoyed the video ....
 Robert Durran 28 Nov 2015
In reply to droberts:

> I think everyone who is being negative about this is I'm assuming is just jealous as they are sat at home unable to ride and climb something like this but love being critical about other peoples adventures.

Your assumption is wrong.

Bulls Crack 28 Nov 2015
In reply to neilh:

There's a bridleway nearby but don't think that was it. OK so one bike it won't do much damage but you have the LDNP putting a lot of effort into path restoration and building up a better bridleway network ( Go Lakes etc) and we're promoting a video of downhill trespass

Looks like fun though
Removed User 28 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I'm generally reluctant to criticise someone else work, but... I don't think I've ever seen such an uninspiring short film of this ilk. There whole thing seems very contrived and there are already too many mtb vids which makes this seem a bit pointless. It is quite nicely shot, I guess the music is each to their own (I found it annoying).
 Pete Pozman 28 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Great fun, but, from the vantage point of my great age, I think it really needs some rap.
craggyjim 28 Nov 2015
In reply to Bulls Crack:

No, that descent is definitely a bridleway, it's Stakes pass. The first bit when he is riding amongst all the spoil heaps is the top section before it gets steep. What wasn't in the video was how he got from the top of Middlefell buttress to Stakes pass which isn't bridleway.
 Purple 29 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Disgraceful. Where is the caving element? Papa Flan must be ashamed of you young man.

Rick Graham 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Mark Collins:

> That bike looks a lot handier for walking with than the fully assembled ones I see folk lugging up hills in the Lakes.

Interesting way of carrying a bike. On very unrideable climbs most mtn bikers push/carry/shoulder/throw/kick the bike.
I suppose we are optimists who expect short occasional sections of ride to not justify the time and effort of stripping the bike down.

Looking at the video, all the riding sections are on legal bridleways.

What is not being discussed there is how all the footpath work " fix the fells " etc is being carried out.
As far as I am aware, it is all being done to maintain the paths for fell walkers.
No consideration is made, in the case of bridleway's, for other legal users such as mountain bikers and horse riders.

Stake Pass used to be a very different style of descent for bikers, I don't think the GG's will like it either now.
 mrconners 29 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Monkey tennis?
 Bulls Crack 29 Nov 2015
In reply to craggyjim:

See what you mean. I'm sure he pushed it whatever the film implies!
 Chad123 29 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC News:
I quite liked this video, short, snappily edited with an appropriate tune and kept my interest throughout. Some nice scenery too and an interesting combo, I think all the negativity is from climbers who don't mountain bike, it's more of a biking video to be honest....
 John Kelly 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:

Don't think the direct route, pike o stickle to stake is a bridle path
The video didn't actually showed that section so technically all on bridle, there is meant to be some stone axe archaeology along the direct route
Liked the video
 Robert Durran 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Chad123:

> I think all the negativity is from climbers who don't mountain bike, it's more of a biking video to be honest....

Admittedly it was a bad move putting a biking video to which a naff climbing element seemed to have been added just as a contrived way of making up something "filmworthy", but the irritating style of editing would have been irritating in any context; there have been plenty of climbing videos spoiled by that sort of nonsense.
 BrainoverBrawn 29 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Like this. Didn't expect to from the still as it looks foolish to have a bike on your back but the climbing was not too hard. Like a dream idea made to happen and not hard biking though done with high skill.
 Jamie Brown 30 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I think the real issue here is where's the footage of him climbing the first chimney pitch
Removed User 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Jamie Brown:

I'd have been more impressed if he had ridden down Middlefell Buttress. It's piss going up innit, even with a pushiron strapped to yer sen.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...