Opinion: Vanishing Footpaths - Today Wales, Tomorrow England

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH Articles 06 Nov 2015
Paths are soon lost to undergrowth if they fall into neglect, 4 kbKate Ashbrook of the Open Spaces Society fears that many public footpaths are in danger of being lost thanks to cuts, neglect and misplaced priorities. It's worst in Wales, she says, but England is following close behind.

Read more
Ivy Fern 06 Nov 2015
In reply to UKH Articles:

Misplaced priorities include Bedfordshire Council spending £3000 of public money for a London Barrister to oppose a a 77yr old man who is fighting a public right of way through his private garden. ( not to mention the costs of a three day public inquiry,councillors expenses and costs)These misplaced priorities happen every day throughout England. May I suggest that the whole archaic proceedure of spending vast amounts of public money on every single Modification application regardless of its true viability, regardless if the claim is doomed to fail, regardless if it takes 20,30 or even 40 years of public enquiries,council time and regardless if it goes through a private garden,farmyard or indeed living room, is legislated against immediately so that the revenue saved can be spent where it should be, maintaining and improving the paths we already have. It is a travesty that rate payers are largely quite unaware,concerning this whole issue, that the money spent proportedly 'saving' 'lost' footpaths is actually jeapardising the footpaths which will be 'lost' through disuse and lack of maintainance.
Moley 09 Nov 2015
In reply to UKH Articles:

I have lived in mid Wales for 30 years, Powys and Carmarthenshire, walked and run many thousands of miles of paths in that time.
There is no doubt that the PROW system leaves a lot to be desired but I have seen massive improvements in that time. The main problem is a lack of walkers or walkers that want to leave the main easy and popular routes. around centres of villages and towns.
I have seen many paths marked out and opened that fall into disrepair through a total lack of use - there simply are not many adventurous walkers in the centre of Wales. I would like to see continued efforts to mark out rights of way (where there has been no marking) but not have precious money spent on maintenance where there are no people utilising those paths.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...