Any keen Kayakers know the upper dart?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 31 Oct 2015
The plan is to float down part of the dart in large inner tubes with winter wet suits. I know that there are sections which are considered challenging to kayak....we want to avoid those! (if I remember there have even been a few deaths) Which parts would you recommend at suitable for swimmers and which parts should be avoided? I appreciate any info!
 marsbar 31 Oct 2015
In reply to Kemics:

3 sections on here
http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/rivers/england/south-west/

Ask on the inland forum if you need more information, its not somewhere I have paddled.
gymwear 31 Oct 2015
In reply to Kemics:

Hi Kemics. I don't know your experience or ability... there's a few bits to avoid if your tubing. Either cos they're boney or a drop. Euthanasia. Pandoras to name just 2.

My view... it will be hard work! Its a long section and some significant sections arent do-able.

The west dart... (the section above the upper) maybe more suitable level dependant or the upper okement nr Okehampton. Mind out for Fatherford falls. Bur theres some nice slides to consider.

Theres a nice section down from Meldon res. That would also be good fun.

Whatever you end up going ...may I give you the same advice a wise man once gave me... Walk the river first... above every drop or significant hazard place a flag on a boulder then when you run the river get out collect your flag. Walk the hazard and then get back in below. It will take time and effort but well worth it if you want to continue enjoying the outdoors. ....
Particularly if you dont have experience reading white water.

Also... theres a great book. .. white water safety and rescue... might be worth a read first.

Stay safe. Have fun Jim
OP Kemics 03 Nov 2015
In reply to gymwear:

thanks that's some good advice. I'm afraid my friends are probably a little to cowboy to want to walk the whole length. But definitely worth getting out and walking a 100 meters or so if something looks dodgy.

I think the west dart is great recommendation so i think we'll do that. The plan is to get out at spitchwick. So thinking of putting in somewhere before dartmeet. Maybe Hexworthy or two bridges?
 JohnV 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Kemics:
Definitely worth posting on UKRGB. The 'Loop' section would be your best bet. It can be run at relatively low flows and the rapids are straightforwards and clean. Below Newby Bridge there are weirs typical of rivers which flow through farmland- some of these will have more serious consequences. Definitely do not try descending the Upper- a serious piece of whitewater.

Above Dartmeet, you may be at risk of damaging salmon redds in the tributaries- something the kayaking community is mindful of in order to maintain good relationships with all river users. The West Dart will need more water to run- being further down the drainage the Loop will carry greater volume which, to an extent, will pad the rocks out.

Your winter wetsuits should be complemented with a helmet and buoyancy aid.
Post edited at 21:48
 NottsRich 05 Nov 2015
In reply to JohnV:

Agree with all you've said. In addition, the Upper and West are probably well worth avoiding if you don't have experience of white water, swift water rescue techniques, and knowing what is safe/unsafe. For instance, knowing how to recognise that there's a submerged tree at the bottom of a drop is quite important. Get it wrong and you're dead. The Loop would be your best bet, and still good fun in places.
 philipivan 05 Nov 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

Even on the loop there are a couple of weirs near the bottom to be cautious of. Do you already have some large inner tubes? If you want to give it a go in a safe environment Nottingham artificial slalom course at Holme Pierrepont is running tubing sessions.
OP Kemics 05 Nov 2015
Thanks for the advice everyone. Yeah I think we'll avoid the west and upper dart, i didn't realise how tricky some sections would be. I think on second thoughts i'm going to walk whatever section we choose on the day before to scope it out. We've had some pretty serious rain fall last couple of days, so could be some gnarly stuff. Main objective is to have a fun day out so i think we'll aim for something that is too boring rather than too dangerous.
 Dave B 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Kemics:

The Barle...?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...