COMPETITION - Win a copy of Kenton Cool's Autobiography

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
One Man's Everest, 5 kbWant to get your hands on one of three copies of Kenton Cool's autobiography? Published on 27th August, the memoir covers some of the most incredible mountaineering events in his life. For the change to win one, answer the question:

Read more
 Jon Bracey 24 Aug 2015
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

'Kenton Cool is the finest alpine climber of this generation' Discuss.....maybe Ueli Steck and a few others would have something to say about this!
 planetmarshall 24 Aug 2015
In reply to Jon Bracey:

I guess that, with a quote from Ranulph Fiennes, the publishers are aiming for a broader audience than typical readers of mountain literature. The latter would know that Kenton's 11 Everest summits are among the least interesting of his achievements.
 innes 24 Aug 2015
In reply to Jon Bracey:

How about: vainglorious nonsense? Doesn't reflect well on the person or the content of the book, I'm afraid.
 nufkin 24 Aug 2015
In reply to Jon Bracey:

Ueli Steck and a few others would have something to say about this!

No doubt - but Kenton deffo has the finest appellation
 Co1in H 24 Aug 2015
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Ueli Steck and a few others would have something to say about this!

They probably wouldn't say it though.
It's all subjective anyway and Kenton is a high profile guide trying to make a living. He openly admits that he chose guiding Everest as his vehicle to "fame and fortune". (my words) He saw a gap in the market and took it.
How do I "know" this?
Because I've just come back from his book launch and this is just what he said.
He is very open about his commercial climbing, but as has already been said, his personal climbing is more interesting so watch out for volume two of his autobiography.
 Michael Ryan 25 Aug 2015
In reply to Jon Bracey:

> 'Kenton Cool is the finest alpine climber of this generation' Discuss.....maybe Ueli Steck and a few others would have something to say about this!

.....marketing hype for a mainstream audience, I bet he is embarrassed about that and really he shouldn't have let it pass, but where there is books to sell and money involved......
 1202alarm 25 Aug 2015
In reply to Michael Ryan:

Hes turning into Bear Grylls bless him. Nice bloke, went to one of his lectures. I agree, the routes he has done with his mates are far more interesting than his commercial guiding.

Who here wouldn't go along with a bit of marketing BS if it meant providing more for your family?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...