Question for keen naturalists

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 01 Aug 2015
Walking myartners dog last night near Warrington, I spotted a few pine cones that looked like red squirrels had eaten them. Also a few imdividual cone segments. Do the greys eat pine cones too, I can't imagine we have any reds here. If not a grew, what might have eaten them
 Yanis Nayu 01 Aug 2015
In reply to kipper12:

I don't know why someone who trampolines and plays volleyball with their bollocks out is any more likely to know than everyone else.
 Nordie_matt 01 Aug 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Are there many naturist naturalists then?
 Dave B 01 Aug 2015
In reply to kipper12:

There are reds near Warrington. Can't answer the q about greys though
 Alyson 01 Aug 2015
In reply to kipper12:

Yes, greys eat pine cones too and leave that 'apple core' look with all the outer bits nibbled away.
Removed User 01 Aug 2015
In reply to kipper12:

Yeah, I thought this was about naked people too, I wouldn't have clicked on the thread otherwise!
Moley 02 Aug 2015
In reply to kipper12:

Greys also eat the cones and if the cones have fallen mice will strip them giving the same impression. Though mice leave slightly different marks the sight of a pile of stripped cones around trees means people think squirrel first.

But you never know, it may be a red, lucky you if it is.
PamPam 02 Aug 2015
In reply to kipper12:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/redsquirrel

Sadly it's much easier if you get a sighting of them. Autumn when there's less vegetation might be an easier time to spot them. Most of the time I've seen them it's just been a glimpse, but if it's a quiet day I've been lucky to see one running about and sitting in the trees.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...