UKC

NEWS: Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team Vehicles Sabotaged

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 10 Jun 2015
One of the damaged vehicles, 4 kbPolice are appealing for info after three Landrovers used by Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team were vandalised and effectively disabled.

But the reaction on social media since the event has been 'overwhelming' according to the team.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69782

In reply to UKC News:

Shocking!
 elsewhere 10 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:
bizarre
 toad 10 Jun 2015
In reply to elsewhere:
> bizarre

Not really, it just takes a massive dose of selfishness to decide that the financial value of bits stripped off a landrover and sold on outweighs the massive benefit of those bits to other people if they are still attached to said landy. Same underlying attitude that means charity collection boxes have to be chained down.

just very, very depressing
 BarrySW19 10 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Hopefully all those social media reactions will turn into donations - if everyone sharing the story on Facebook kicks in £5 or £10 it should cover the repair costs.
 jon 10 Jun 2015
In reply to toad:

> financial value of bits stripped off a landrover ...

But it sounds more like vandalism than anything else.

Martin W 10 Jun 2015
In reply to toad:

> it just takes a massive dose of selfishness to decide that the financial value of bits stripped off a landrover and sold on outweighs the massive benefit of those bits to other people if they are still attached to said landy.

I rather doubt that the financial value of a handful of bolts had anything to do with it. Why were the battery cables cut? I suppose it could have been so as to disable the alarms, but I thought most modern car alarms have internal backup batteries for precisely this reason.
 jkarran 10 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Curious. Presumably a burglary by someone who knew how to do it quietly. Odd that they'd keep looking through three of them if they weren't finding anything worth stealing. Someone looking for drugs maybe?

At least they should be cheap and easy to fix in that case, put the bolts back in and get the cables crimped back together or replaced.

jk
 robal 10 Jun 2015
In reply to Martin W:

If you unscrew and pop out the passenger side head light on a defender you can cut the wires to the horn thus disabling the alarm.

the alarm is also not battery protected.

I would say its vandalism more than anything.

I hope that they find the people responsible and also get enough donations from Facebook to cover the increase in their insurance premiums...
 robal 10 Jun 2015
In reply to robal:

should be drivers side, before I'm corrected.....
 nufkin 10 Jun 2015
In reply to robal:

> should be drivers side, before I'm corrected…

This is the sort of juicy titbit I'll be filing away in the 'deviant' part of my brain
 Lord_ash2000 11 Jun 2015
In reply to BarrySW19:

It's very shocking, I heard about it the other day. Apparently land rover doors and bonnets fetch a high price on the spare parts market in eastern Europe.

But money wise, won't these vehicles be insured?
 Blake 11 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Has anyone got any thoughts on who/why someone would do this? I'm baffled.

Seems a little too destructive, specific and determined to be just throwaway vandalism?
 Blake 11 Jun 2015
In reply to BarrySW19:

With 11000 shares mate, if everyone kicked in a tenner, they could buy a pimped out hummer
 robal 11 Jun 2015
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

mint ones can fetch
doors: £350
Rear doors about: £330
Bonnets about: £400

I've bought panels off of ebay before from people who have been braking vehicles, mainly really old ones as I'm not super flush with cash.

my neighbour who has a defender has woken up to find all his panels gone, mine is garaged and we've had attempted brake ins.

The unfortunate thing is due to the ease at which you can, as a home mechanic, switch the panels means that the average joe isnt put off by ordering a new one off of ebay after having wrapped it around a tree.

I assumed from what was said that the panels had been left behind, if not then its just a simple theft case. it seems stupid that they cut the battery cables as theyre under the seat box though so the alarms will have sounded for at least 20 seconds or so, if they knew enough that the doors are worth something then they would surely look into disabling the alarm before entering the vehicle....

most peculiar
 Blake 11 Jun 2015
In reply to robal:

maybe they got disturbed or something? its pretty quiet in that spot, but its right next to the Ceunant hut, the campsites, the vaynol, houses etc... if it was mindless vandalism, they would have just done the tyres.

If we can take a positive from the whole thing, I guess its been great to see how much support has been shown - very uplifting.
 goose299 11 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Saw this on fb. Shocking!
 Trangia 11 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Shocking.

I don't do Facebook, so how can I donate on line?
 robal 11 Jun 2015
In reply to Blake:

> If we can take a positive from the whole thing, I guess its been great to see how much support has been shown - very uplifting.

Very true!

Chris_Mellor 11 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Er, leaving them in plain view in the Vaynol carpark over night for all to see is not the best ...

I know. Hindsight is always 20:20 but effing vandals are effing vandals and get everywhere.
 climbwhenready 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Chris_Mellor:

> Er, leaving them in plain view in the Vaynol carpark over night for all to see is not the best ...

???
 Forester3 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Chris_Mellor:
When staying at the Ceunant Club hut a few years ago, we got up one morning to find all the aerials had been unscrewed from our cars - only to find later that they'd just been flung over the wall into the churchyard!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...