PRODUCT NEWS: Alpkit Synoment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 22 Apr 2015
Alpkit Synoment, 5 kbA lightweight technical synthetic jacket offers warmth no matter the conditions. Wear either as a pure outerwear all-year-round or as a magnificent mid-layer in less than perfect conditions.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=7229
 Steve nevers 22 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Is the main zip uni-directional? Cant tell from the info or the photos.
 Guy Hurst 22 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

I reckon this might not be one of Alpkit's best sellers. Although it's cheaper than most rivals at their rrp, you can usually pick one up for pretty near the price of the Synoment, or cheaper.
 Damo 23 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Until this article came up, when I saw the photo in the UKC sidebar I thought it was for a new stove. Didn't notice what the guy was wearing at all.
 Steve nevers 23 Apr 2015
In reply to Guy Hurst:

> I reckon this might not be one of Alpkit's best sellers. Although it's cheaper than most rivals at their rrp, you can usually pick one up for pretty near the price of the Synoment, or cheaper.

That's why I'm asking about the zip really, if you cant unzip from the bottom for easy access when belaying and alpkit haven't realised bigger = longer arms as much as i'd like to buy british this can do one.
Alpjay 23 Apr 2015
In reply to Steve nevers:

The zip is only a single zip - not a double zip, I'm afraid you can't undo it from the bottom.

The sizes we have adjusted a bit over the last few jackets as we have received feedback - thanks for taking a look -

Jay
 Sharp 23 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Looks like a nice jacket, hope you guys bring out a quater zip version. Is the packsize correct? Similar size to my Rab Alpine Generator which is over 500 grammes an has a hood and bulky zip.
 Steve nevers 23 Apr 2015
In reply to Alpjay:

> The zip is only a single zip - not a double zip, I'm afraid you can't undo it from the bottom.

Shame to hear, If you do consider giving it a re-design in that aspect I could see it being more popular. Currently i'm after a jacket for staying warm at the top and bottom of quarry routes..

..just seems odd that you've considered climbing movement in the design, but not access to belay loop.
 TobyA 23 Apr 2015

> ..just seems odd that you've considered climbing movement in the design, but not access to belay loop.

I've owned a reviewed quite a few different belay jackets now over the years, and can't say I've ever been bothered by a zip not opening from the bottom. In fact some come open at the bottom and its a total pain. I can't remember ever having problems belaying caused by an unopened belay jacket.
 angry pirate 24 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

I think it depends on length. I use a generator smock which is great and is short enough that it sits above the belay loop nicely. My winter belay jacket is the generator jacket and is too long to bunch up over the loop so I undo from the bottom so the back of the jacket can cover my backside.
I'm not sure that a single direction zip would bother me on a jacket like the Alpkit.
 StuDoig 24 Apr 2015

> ...... as much as i'd like to buy british this can do one.

It's also made in China so wouldn't tick the buying British box for you unfortunately.

Cheers,

Stu

JayPee630 24 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Agree, I've got a great Montane Alpine Stretch softshell which has a lower zip opening, and when the drawcords are tightened it just starts up zipping itself, and loads of times I've looked down and seen it's come undone 6-8 inches!
 Steve nevers 24 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

> I've owned a reviewed quite a few different belay jackets now over the years, and can't say I've ever been bothered by a zip not opening from the bottom. In fact some come open at the bottom and its a total pain. I can't remember ever having problems belaying caused by an unopened belay jacket.

Fair enough, personally my current softshell in a pain in the arse and just gets in the way on cold days so am looking for one that has a uni-directional zip as a function.

Horses for courses and all that.
 PN82 25 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

I'd buy one of these if only it had a hood...
 stevesmith 25 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Looks great but a hood would have made it even better.
 TobyA 25 Apr 2015

> Horses for courses and all that.

Yep - absolutely. Its odd how things you never notice bother other people using the same gear, and vice versa - something that deeply annoys me about some kit is a total non-issue for other people!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...