NEW REVIEW: MSR WindBoiler Stove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 13 Apr 2015
Not a bad view from the bedroom.... , 4 kbThe MSR WindBoiler is a small, lightweight cooking system. UKC have had it for several months and tested it in the Alps in winter, as well as general cragging/camping trips.

Overall we really liked the stove but did find a few issues, mainly with the plastic parts...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=7237

PPP 13 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

It's brilliant piece of equipment and can fit many different situations as it also has a hanging kit. I've used it over the winter and it never let me down. Although it is expensive, it's not that much more expensive than Jetboil but it's way much more windproof. I bought Alpkit Brukit which I sold the same week as it was a joke (although cheap one).

It's completely windproof, but it might be a little bit tricky to light it in windy conditions. Due to complete windproofness, it is impossible to light it when everything is assembled. Due to efficiency, the piezo ignition will not work! Not a major trouble either, but having a good lighter should not be underestimated.
 Ciderslider 14 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:
The stove might be alright but the little plastic stand broke second time i used it - very disappointed msr - loads of money - you would think that they could do a better job !!

Also can't find a contact for uk to try to resolve the problem
Post edited at 16:38
In reply to Ciderslider:

Your UK contact would be the shop that you bought it from.

Alternatively - if you bought abroad, contact Pro-Agencies 07795904043.
In reply to UKC Gear:

How does it compare with a jetboil, which seems to be the standard at the mo?
 misterb 14 Apr 2015
In reply to Ciderslider:

> The stove might be alright but the little plastic stand broke second time i used it - very disappointed msr - loads of money - you would think that they could do a better job !!

> Also can't find a contact for uk to try to resolve the problem

mine broke too after one use which is annoying but they are only about a fiver to replace so cant be arsed to chase msr for a new one
 PPP 14 Apr 2015
In reply to Ciderslider:

Are you sure it actually got broken? It managed to 'disassemble' itself for me, but it took a minute to fix it in field conditions probably with gloves on too (sorry for my English, don't know how to describe it!).
 nufkin 15 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

How was it for fuel efficiency, and using the last dregs of gas in the canister?
 Ciderslider 15 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

No very broken - one of the little tabs that holds the legs on has snapped off
 chris_s 15 Apr 2015
In reply to PPP:

Just out of interest, what was the problem with the Brukit? Was thinking about getting one.
 PPP 15 Apr 2015
In reply to chris_s:

Less efficient than any other stove I used (well, it probably beats solid fuel, but I was in love with Esbit stoves for too many years to admit that), quite heavy, not windproof and I didn't like 1.2l size pot (I think it was advertised as 1l pot, but actually they meant that you can boil 1l of water, not that it's its volume). Also, the cozy was quite terrible and the mesh net is far too tight to be usable (to be fair, I don't think you need one, but it's not nice to have something that simply doesn't work). On top of that, Alpkit let me down when they were showing photos with a tripod stabilizer for the gas canister but they didn't include it! I emailed them with a hope of an apology and I hoped they just forgot it, but they said this:
>"We are hoping to have them in soon so we can sell them separately - we were hoping to have them with the BruKit, but the design and final product wasn't what we had hoped."

Not even an apology, even though it was shown in the pics that Brukit has one.
 connor 15 Apr 2015
In reply to chris_s:

The burner is terrible, like really bad.
 tistimetogo 26 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Was recently on the look out for a new stove. Up to now I've used my trangi (with meth) for valley camping and a vango Compact (with gas cans) when up high.

Was considering the windboiler versus the reactor but with some impending expedition and extremely cold weather stuff I've gone for the msr universal instead. The range of fuels and resistance to cold is what I need.

simes303 01 May 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

It looks ridiculously top heavy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...