NEW REVIEW: Hymir Jacket from Jottnar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 07 Apr 2015
The Jöttnar Hymir (photo S. Watchman), 4 kbSmock-style jackets - you might love them or hate them.

But with the lightweight, very breathable Hymir smock, particularly with its fully helmet-compatible hood, Jöttnar should win some climber converts to the smock cause...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=7197

galpinos 07 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Nice review Toby. I'd be interested if this sells as I've got a discontinued Mountain Equipment Firefly Smock in Active Shell that at just under 300g looks to be aimed at the same market. I love it but it only seemed to be around a season so I guess no-one bought it (or the retailers didn't stock it.

I use mine for everything from running to ski touring to Scottish Winter.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-news/mes-new-active-shell-smock/10148.htm...
 TobyA 07 Apr 2015
In reply to galpinos:

Yeah, smocks seem to come and go. I remember Berghaus did one years back, in proshell or XCR or whatever it was called back then, but still light because of the design. It got rave reviews, excellent hood, perfect for winter climbing etc etc and I think it lasted one season.

Hopefully Jottnar can buck the trend!
 galpinos 07 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Jottnar’s direct sales might help as they are less beholden to what the bigger stores will stock but from a smock lovers I guess most people prefer jackets.

It’s a shame as the smock/active shell combo is a real winner.
 Kevin Avery 07 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:
How'd you find the sizing Toby? I'm testing a small one at the moment and the small in this definitely seems neater than other brands I wear.
Post edited at 12:02
 Casa Alfredino 07 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

I've got a Rab Event smock that's a few years old now and as a do everything jacket it's been awesome. It's such a neat design, so light and unfussy that I'd be tempted to buy another, despite not being at all convinced that Event is actually any cop. But they don't make it any more... this might fit the bill rather well!
 Damo 07 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Any suggestion how it fits compared to other brands? Long in the sleeves? Tight across the chest? What size did you wear? Is the stretch noticeable?
 sharpie530 07 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Recently purchased this smock along with an Alfar hoodie from the sample sale on Jottnar's website. Fantastic service from Tommy. I have just got back from a quick ski trip to canada and Vermont. Used both jackets and very impressed.
The Hymir worked well in temps ranging from -5oC wind and snow through to 7oC and sunny. I could notice that the neoshell wasnt completely windproof. When it did get a bit warm i just packed the hymir in its pouch and stuck it up my back. Worked well!

The fit is trim. I took a medium, plenty of room in the arms and chest. But snug at the waist. Usually just wore a baselayer and the alfar underneath, which was fine. The hood is a good size too. I wore it over my ski helmet on the lifts to keep the wond off.

Only minor gripe was the zip was a little tricky under the chin... but this will likely free up with time. The pocket zip was spot on and the size was brilliant.

Looking forward to seeing what Jottnar make next!
 TobyA 07 Apr 2015
In reply to Damo/Kev:
I've got a medium and there is space in the shoulders and chest for me, and I'm relatively broad I think. It does slim down a lot to the waist though. It's quite tight over my bum, but I don't have a scrawny bum!

Just measured my chest - 101 cms so just under 40 inches. So I'm at the top end of what Jottnar calls medium, but there is still plenty of articulation even when wearing the Alfar mid layer under it which, being a hybrid with insulated panels, isn't the lowest profile of mid layers. Sleeve length is plentiful on me but I remember you Damo as describing yourself as a bit of a gorilla in that respect!

Comparing it to other brands - for me, better fitting (more room) in shoulders/chest than Rab, more like Marmot or Patagonia in that respect but it slims down at the waist/hem more than the Marmot jackets I've tried in recent years.
Post edited at 16:14
 Damo 07 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks Toby. It sounds perfect, which is a worry, given the price
 BnB 08 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

I have one too and you describe the fit very accurately. It's a little baggy around the chest in medium for a regulation Rab medium chap like me but perfect in the sleeves for my (relatively) long arms.

Running quite hot, I'm a huge wind shirt fan in preference to softshell and I see the Hymir as a waterproof wind shirt rather than a pure hardshell. On cold days it layers exceptionally well over the very breathable Nano Air insulation from Patagonia and I'm sure you could wear it over other (not quite so) breathable layers, such as Pertex/Alpha combinations, when performing relatively low output activities.

My concern for now would be over durability and for that, time will tell.
 TobyA 08 Apr 2015
In reply to BnB:

> My concern for now would be over durability and for that, time will tell.

Yes, I've snagged the inside scrim netting in (I think) a zip on a rucksack, making a hole in it. I don't know if the membrane is damaged too but there seems a good chance. Fortunately the damaged bit is on the inside of the hem, so not a spot vital to the jacket's breathability or waterproofness. I will probably just paint some seam sealer on to stop it getting an worse.

But I suspect this happened a) because I was clumsy or careless stuffing it into my pack but also b) because the grade of neoshell is so soft.

Of course if I used the little stuff sack it came with this would never have happened but I've found that a bit fiddly for real 'on the hill' use.

Very interested by your "waterproof windshirt" idea. Do you mean because its breathable and not completely windproof?
 galpinos 08 Apr 2015
In reply to BnB:
Waterproof Windshirt, don't give the brands another type of shell to market, it's confusing enough as it is!

P.S. I thought I had a lot of jackets but you seem to beat me by a fair margin.

Edited to remove excessive exclamation marks - looked like a post from the comments section of the DM.
Post edited at 09:19
 TobyA 08 Apr 2015
In reply to galpinos:

> P.S. I thought I had a lot of jackets but you seem to beat me by a fair margin.

Yeah, BnB didn't have a Hymir when we climbed together just before New Year, so he obviously couldn't resist the temptation! After that day I think that we might be kindred spirits in our equipment connoisseurship/sad gear geekery, although his evangelizing for string vests, albeit Norwegian string vests, still didn't get me to rush out and buy one.
 BnB 08 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

True. I can't resist a new jacket. Got to hide the Brynje mesh under something respectable.
 Bluebird 08 Apr 2015
In reply to BnB:

Have got the Hymir and love it; only quibble I have is sizing of the sleeve cuffs and getting them over a pair of modest gloves. Other than that it's standing up well.
 ColdWill 08 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

managed to get on eof thesew http://www.mtnhaus.com/mount-asgard-smock/ whilst in the Lakes at a really good price. Love them but wearing it again reminds me why they always fail to sell. With literally an extra 30cm of zip they immediately become much more appealing to anyone who's not wearing a harness all day. There would also be no significant weight penalty. I can't see anyone buying these unless they already have a proper jacket or two.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...