Duffle bag for hand luggage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stevie989 14 Mar 2015
Looking at getting a duffle type bag for hand luggage.

Being as I haven't flown for 11 years I'm not really sure what size/volume I can expect to get away with.

Would a 80l duffle such as the rab on on sale in tiso etc at the moment be too big? (Obviously providing it's not packed to bursting)
 JayPee630 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Stevie989:

It's a bit of a 'how long's a bit of string' question tbh. Some airlines (especially budget short haul ones) are very strict and go down the lines at check-in/boarding looking and measuring bags, while some more expensive carriers don't seem to care very much at all.

EvanDavies 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Stevie989:

I've found 40L to be about right.

Easyjet, for example, restrict you to 56 x 45 x 25cm.
 GridNorth 14 Mar 2015
In reply to EvanDavies:

The 56 can be reduced to 50 on crowded flights
 gethin_allen 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Stevie989:

I seriously doubt you'd get away with an 80 duffle bag in hand luggage, I get odd looks and often get asked to fit my bag in measuring device when using my 45l rucksack and that only fits in if it's less that fully packed.

The dimensions for cabin bags change from airline to airline and the degree to which they check changes not only between airline but between airports and also depends on how full the flight is.

Some airlines are a bit confusing for example. Easyjet have 2 sizes, smaller than one size and they guarantee it will go on as cabin luggage and up to the next size limit they may ask you to put it in the hold as a "gate bag" (still free but gets tagged at the gate and you put it in a pile that goes in the hold. any larger again and they'll charge you.

Oli 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Stevie989:

I doubt you'd get away with that size, but it all depends on the staff on the day.

I've repeatedly flown with a 55l sack as hand luggage and never had any issues. I've taken the waist belt off so it looks smaller and taken the plastic insert out the back so it would be more flexible to fit in the measuring device if needed. I just stuff it full and then do up all the compression straps to make it smaller. If I did get told it was too big, I'd just put all the clothes on until out of sight/on the plane then refill it...
OP Stevie989 14 Mar 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

Granted yeah it's a bit of a vague question sorry.

So 40-50l (ish) is about right?

It'll be sleazy jet and flying out of Glasgow if anyone has relevant experience.
 JayPee630 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Stevie989:

IME Easyjet tend to be a bit more forgiving than Ryanair and Jet2. That size sounds OK, especially if it can be squeezed down if needed a bit.
EvanDavies 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Stevie989:

The overhead lockers slope down at the back so the long, thin shape of a rucksack (compared to a square suitcase) actually allows you to use more of the locker so a 40-50 should be fine. Be prepared to take a jacket out and "wear" it in case you come across a jobsworth with a measuring tape.
 gethin_allen 14 Mar 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

>" IME Easyjet tend to be a bit more forgiving than Ryanair and Jet2."

My recent experience of Ryanair and Easyjet has shown the opposite so it really is just a gamble.
In reply to Stevie989:

I have often flown with the ME 40L duffle as hand luggage with no hassle whatsoever.
 IPPurewater 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Stevie989:

The Easyjet hand luggage sizes are here

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage

An 80 L duffle would be much too big for hand luggage !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...