UKC

NEWS: El Caminito del Rey to re-open

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 13 Mar 2015
It's a via ferrata, Steve, but not as we know it..., 4 kbThe £2.5 million refurbishment of El Caminito del Rey in El Chorro, Spain is nearing completion - with the walkway set to re-open on 29th March after a year of closure due to construction work.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69581
 Tom F Harding 14 Mar 2015
In reply to UKC News:

> Prohibitions

> To use a harness or to be tied to a cable on the boardwalks, as this might put obstacles in the way of other people who transit it and can make them fall down the precipice.

Well that's the end of every route that starts on the Caminito.

http://www.caminitodelrey.info/en/5111/your-visit#http://www.caminitodelrey...

justin c 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Tom F Harding:

You will have to pay to get in at the other end -15 euros they say- then a bus picks you back up at chorro end and takes you back to the start- poor el chorro shops will see very little of the public as they are whisked off ... The locals are pissed at this!
Access to most of the routes is gonna be allowed (apparently)but the routes that start on the actual pathway will be highly likely banned (that's what they have said) so most of it is still a go go for us tho
I'm sure we can still get on the routes during the quite winter periods tho

Marek 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Tom F Harding:

So the way I read this, as long as I can show BMC insurance I can access the walkway for free?
 ChrisJD 14 Mar 2015
In reply to UKC News:

From Here:

http://www.caminitodelrey.info/en/5111/your-visit#http://www.caminitodelrey...

Compulsory Regulations

- Entrance tickets to the path El Caminito del Rey will be available after its booking, and will be free for six months after the official opening.

- Those who would like to go climbing will have free entrance to the path. For that purpose, they need to show their civil liability insurance at the access points, and to register and accept the regulations and conditions of the nature reserve in the case of this activity.

- Climbing is allowed only on the walls that have been approved for that purpose by the responsible environmental consultancy. Nevertheless, in the gorge, only the part of the rock under the boardwalks will be in use. Any competitive climbing without previous authorization from the body responsible for the environment is forbidden. Moreover, climbers have to respect other regulations, obligations and prohibitions from this document, except those regarding rucksacks. It is banned to jump over the rails in order to access the climbing areas, or to anchor on the boardwalks.

- Visitors, climbers and other people who come to El Caminito del Rey Path, and the nature reserve Desfiladero de los Gaitanes have to obey these norms as well as those established by the responsible environmental consultancy.
 tistimetogo 14 Mar 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I understand the need for tourism to bring money to the area but I'm still sad about this.

I've seen the new walkway. They've taken something special and made it incredibly boring.
 timjones 15 Mar 2015
 3leggeddog 15 Mar 2015
In reply to timjones:

> Those of us who got to sample that stage in the Caminos existance were fortunate but it was deteriorating fast. It wasn't going to last forever before it collapsed ;(

I agree, it also creates a great day out for folk in some stunning scenery and will bring much needed funds to the area.

From what I can see from the website, the refurbished caminito appears to run all the way into the upper gorge. It will be interesting to see whether the climbing there has been re opened. There is no indication on the website as to which areas climbing is permitted in. Previously climbing in the upper gorge was "spanish banned", banned but widely ignored.

I am going out in a few weeks, I guess my questions will be answered then. Plenty to go at without using the walkway
 dereke12000 16 Mar 2015
In reply to UKC News:

- Those who would like to go climbing will have free entrance to the path.

I'm wondering if you still need to reserve months in advance to go climbing as opposed to doing the tourist walking path
 Toerag 24 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Has anyone been since it re-opened? What's the score, I have non-UKC friends heading there next week.
 Marek 24 Apr 2015
In reply to Toerag:

Couple of points to note (as climbers):
1. If you want to get in you need to show 3rd party liability insurance (e.g., BMC) and you have to have helmets. We had the former but not the latter. No go.
2. The access is only open from 10am-5pm (hottest time of the day), so if you planning to climb outside those times then you'll have to find a different route (e.e., the notch).

JJL 24 Apr 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

> only the part of the rock under the boardwalks will be in use.

Oh dear.

Glad I went before it got emasculated
 dereke12000 24 Apr 2015
In reply to Marek:

Did you have to book in advance, or just turn up??
 Marek 24 Apr 2015
In reply to dereke12000:

If you meet the 'climber' criteria, you just turn up.
 dereke12000 25 Apr 2015
In reply to Marek:

Cool, that's good to know. Just need them to agree access to some of the climbs off the walkway now...
 Marek 25 Apr 2015
In reply to dereke12000:

> Cool, that's good to know. Just need them to agree access to some of the climbs off the walkway now...

Above the walkway? Zero chance!
 dereke12000 25 Apr 2015
In reply to Marek:

No, I meant below the walkway, but they don't want you climbing over the handrails or lowering off the walkway...
 Confused Chimp 04 May 2015
In reply to Marek:

I'm heading there in just over a weeks time. Made a booking to go on the pathway. Do you still need via ferrata equipment? Or is it now just a plain walk? I will be getting travel insurance for my trip and via ferrata cover if I need it.
But I'm going with a non climber, so via ferrata would be the extent of any climbing we would be doing.
Any advice you can give greatly received.
CC
 Marek 04 May 2015
In reply to Confused Chimp:

> I'm heading there in just over a weeks time. Made a booking to go on the pathway. Do you still need via ferrata equipment? Or is it now just a plain walk? I will be getting travel insurance for my trip and via ferrata cover if I need it.

If you've booked, then it's just a walk.
 Confused Chimp 05 May 2015
In reply to Marek:

Is there any Via Ferrata around the area? Are they open?
 Marek 05 May 2015
In reply to Confused Chimp:

> Is there any Via Ferrata around the area? Are they open?

The only one I was aware of was the informal one which constituted the start of the old collapsing walkway. All history now - unless anyone knows otherwise.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...