Contract in a retail retail shop

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon_87 01 Feb 2015
Trying to find out where I stand on contract issues and managers.

So I work for an Outdoor Retailer, right now we're in our quiet period before summer. When i started I was offered part time work on an 8 hour/week contract, I accepted also stating I work 3 out of 5 evenings for a different employer.

Firstly I've been doing 3 or 5 hour shifts 5 days a week, it sort of works in my favor I start early, finish early get to my other job in time. But if I'm doing 3 hours, 1 hour's earning is spent on travel so I'm not really making any money. Anyone else brought this up with an employer?

Secondly as my hours have gone down (this week I've not been scheduled at all, a day off has gone down as paid holiday), I'm picking up a weekly placement with my second job, so I'll now be working 4 evenings a week. I've been told I can't pick it up as that it would mean my other team will all have to do evening shifts, like I'm being selfish just doing the morning ones.

I'm pretty sure I'm being taken for a mug. Retail isn't where I want to end up but while I'm there the gear is cheap.
 gethin_allen 01 Feb 2015
In reply to Simon_87:

I've been in a similar situation, short contract hours and when it's busy they want you working 60 hour weeks (loads of Antisocial hours) and then when it's quiet they offer you nothing. I had one manager who liked to ask people to go home half way through shifts if the shop was quiet, which is totally out of order when you need the cash and have no plans because obviously you expected to be in work.

All you can do is discuss it with management and face the possibility of not getting a friendly response.

Would the company be strongly associated with a certain two letter word and the colour blue?

Billhook 01 Feb 2015
In reply to Simon_87:

The bottom line is not what the law says but what you want as an outcome.

If you have less than 2 years service they can get rid of you with little problem. In anycase, this is really about negotiating and getting as close to what you want without your boss getting so fed up you end up on the street.
Zoro 01 Feb 2015
In reply to Simon_87: these kind of work issues can be an absolute pain in the arse, unfortunately many large companies beleive this is an accepteble way in which to behave. If i were you i'd join a union that represents retail shop workers and ask their advice. It will cost you to join a union but, i have found that they can work wonders when negotiating with employers. If you have the confidence to speak to your boss about this issue, give it a go. If you appear to be calm, reasonable, understanding, but firm you might be able to find somekind of compromise.

Good luck, i hope you can work something out.

Zoro.

OP Simon_87 01 Feb 2015
In reply to Simon_87:

Thank you for the responses.

I gathered it would be a polite conversation, I might have to go over my supervisors head. When I'm next in I'll just have to keep an eye out for my next rosta.

Unfortunately the union might be out: cost as you said and maybe hopefully I won't be there much longer, but just in case I'll be in contact with one.

Well gethin_allen this company definitely doesn't use more than three letters in a word or use the colour red.
In reply to Simon_87:

Union rates are usually scaled and reduced for p/t workers, also they are reduced to pennies per month if you are unemployed. Worth it just in case and for good advice, seen too many folk get screwed without them. Best of luck from an ex retail worker, remember you are worth sod all to them so look after your own back.
OP Simon_87 02 Feb 2015
In reply to Pepper:

Might be worth it then for the time being.

It is a shame big companies such as mine aren't encouraging staff well being. At least with my time off I can head out and enjoy the outdoors.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...