Flask recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Need a new flask so going to ask santa for one. So which one shall I ask him (and his elfs to make for me.

Any recommendations for 0.5l to 1l flasks. Just for drinks on the hill, no soup (i.e wide mouth not needed).
 Bluebird 05 Dec 2014
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

Thermos Ultimate Flask. It is exceptional. Almost too perfect and keeping stuff hot, even after 24 hrs. 0.8l
 sleavesley 05 Dec 2014

The lifeventure ones have worked fine for me. Also buy the litre one for my old man (he had one that took a battering falling out of lorries etc, started to leak but they had changed the design so had to buy a new one).
Not sure how long his last one has lasted but for everyday use its been brilliant. He found the litre stayed hotter than the 700ml important as he often starts around 4am.
 Guy Hurst 05 Dec 2014

The Thermos Ultimate is by far the best of several flasks I've had, Even the smaller sized ones are so effective that drinks are still too hot to drink straight away even at the end of a winter day on the hills.
 girlymonkey 05 Dec 2014

this costs £4 in Morrisons, and is the best flask I have ever had. It's still too hot to drink by lunchtime if I use freshly boiled water in it, and there's no faffy cups, and I can work it fine with mittens on.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dSe7xEDKZzI/U1mIfG7os3I/AAAAAAAAAkY/Sjy7qMlA24M/s...

Stanley are about the best on the market I'd say but are expensive.

I use one of these Thermos Light & Compact:

http://www.thermosonline.co.uk/store/Thermos-Light-and-Compact-Flask-1-0L/s...

keeps hot stuff drinkably warm overnight, and as the name suggests, it's light and streamlined.
In reply to Gone:

Unsurprisingly, the result in that test is 'bigger flasks stay hot for longer'...

"Why do elephants have Big Ears?" No, not because Noddy won't pay the ransom.

One fundamental problem with stainless flasks over an old-fashioned glass vacuum flask is the metal is a good conductor of heat, so heat conducts from the inner, up to the neck, and down on to the outside of the flask, from where it escapes to the environment. With a glass flask, glass isn't such a good conductor, and the glass vacuum envelope is contained within a protective sheep, often foam insulated, so this conduction problem isn't as significant. Of course, glass vacuum flasks aren't as robust as steel flasks...
 squirrel00 06 Dec 2014

Second bluebird, thermos ultimate awesome flask got it in 0.5l
 wilkesley 06 Dec 2014
In reply to squirrel00:
Yet another vote for the Thermos Ultimate, by far the best flask I have ever bought.
Post edited at 09:47

Thermos Ultimate!

Bought mine after at least 3 others I know recommended them

so +4

;~))
In reply to captain paranoia:

> .... the glass vacuum envelope is contained within a protective sheep

I hope I don't get lambasted for pointing out what a cumbersome arrangement that is.

mwr72 06 Dec 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

> Stanley are about the best on the market I'd say but are expensive.

Agreed, I had one for 15 years until someone on site stole it. Last weekend I treated myself to another.
In reply to Turdus torquatus:
Ah, the wonders of spelling correction, though I'm not sure how it managed that one... Sleeve. Nope, no trouble...

Still, putting your flask inside a protective sheep would certainly keep it warm. Provided said insertion didn't kill the sheep. And if you could encourage the sheep to accompany you, it would carry the flask for you.
Post edited at 11:42
 GridNorth 06 Dec 2014

Another vote for the Thermos Ultimate. Over the years I've owned just about every make of flask on the market both glass and stainless steel but this one stands out head and shoulders above the rest with regard to keeping drinks warm.
 andi turner 06 Dec 2014
Yes, thermos ultimate. Best flask going bar none.
 TobyA 06 Dec 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Ah, the wonders of spelling correction, though I'm not sure how it managed that one... Sleeve. Nope, no trouble...

> Still, putting your flask inside a protective sheep would certainly keep it warm. Provided said insertion didn't kill the sheep.

I like the original sheep idea, anyway If sheep are anything like tauntauns on Hoth, the sheep being dead won't matter: "this'll smell bad kid, but it'll keep you warm until I get the shelter up!"

butteredfrog 06 Dec 2014

Steel Thermos 0.5lt, £4.99 from the Range. Best flask I have ever had.

iksander 07 Dec 2014

Morrisons flip top. Better than Primus, Stanley etc £4.99
 Pedro 07 Dec 2014

HI, try looking at the best flask :- http://atlaswareflasks.co.uk/shop/
Pedro
 llanberis36 07 Dec 2014

Get yourself to Jo royle in Buxton and get one of their life venture ones
Very sturdy and reliable

Thanks,

I think Santa is brining me the Thermos version people have said.

Ta

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...