Interstellar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 07 Nov 2014
Well that was a surprise, I went in expecting some pompous rehash of Event Horizon slowed right down to the pace of Danny Boyle's rubbish "Sunshine", but Chris Nolan offered something entirely different to this...basically a remake of "2010: The Year We Make Contact" (as if The Abyss hadn't already done this).

Grating overblown music, lots of predictability, many scenes drawn out far too long, and some clunky expository dialogue again and again.

Loved it. 8/10!
 1poundSOCKS 07 Nov 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Did you like Inception, or either of the last 2 Batman movies?
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Strongly disliked Inception. The Dark Knight Rises was for the most part noisy, overlong and unengaging. The Dark Knight was good when Aaron Eckhart was on screen.

I loved The Prestige, if that helps!
 Skyfall 08 Nov 2014

Was it as good as UFO or Space 1999?
Lusk 08 Nov 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

or Dark Star, trying to talk the bomb out of exploding, ace film!
 1poundSOCKS 08 Nov 2014

I've seen them and agree with you apart from The Dark Knight (which I didn't like also). Was just seeing if we're on the same wavelength. I was worried about Interstellar, the trailer makes it look like a typical Nolan blockbuster (not good), and this sentence makes me think of Inception (again, not good)...

"However, through the wormhole, one hour is the equivalent of seven years back on Earth, so the mission won't work if the people on Earth are dead by the time they pull it off"
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:
I don't want to do plot spoilers but suffice to say, do NOT let that sentence put you off.

To my mind it's the first properly good megabudget Chris Nolan film (or - yes - "typical Nolan blockbuster") even if it is devoid of original ideas and a tad predictable. The acting really carries it. Hathaway, and the young girl playing Matthew McConaughey's daughter, are the standouts. But everyone is great. And the cinematography and sound design (if not the score itself) are a wonder. And there is no trace of Morgan Freeman being the sage voice of wisdom! (they just blacked up Michael Caine instead...ONLY JOKING!)

I would definitely recommend it. I actually don't MIND that it is about 80% "2010" (and 20% mishmash of other stuff)
Post edited at 10:00
 1poundSOCKS 08 Nov 2014

Thanks. Never seen 2010, so maybe that'll help. Went to Everyman cinema last might for the first time. Good cinema, like the sofas.
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

I last went there in 2000 or 2001 for the thrilling "homelessness" double bill of "Dark Days" and "Time of the Gypsies" Eeh I like a laugh, me.

Was it on a par with the soon to be cult classic, John Carter of Mars?
In reply to John Simpson:

Sorry, sir. Don't know, sir

I guess I'll have to check it out then, for the record, I loved John Carter,I'd give it 9/10, a bit bare, but in my humble opinion it's surely a classic up there with Dune at the very least.
 Big Steve 08 Nov 2014
I have just come home from watching it, some good parts, some rubbish parts. I'll give it 5/10
 Tom Valentine 14 Nov 2014
In reply to Big Steve:

I'm a bit disappointed, too. "Gravity" might be a bit more parochial but I thought it just as spectacular and more involving.
 Roberttaylor 15 Nov 2014

Just back from seeing it. Better than Gravity, music was a bit loud but other than that it blew me away.
 John H Bull 15 Nov 2014
Amazing and terrible at the same time. Black holes deserve better.
My "Loved it. 8/10!" was a LITTLE bit tongue in cheek. Read the sentence preceding it!

What I was getting at was that despite its myriad shortcomings, it is nonetheless a lovely crowd-pleasing cinematic spectacle in the spirit of "event" films from the Golden Age of Hollywood which often were overblown and don't stand up to fierce critical dissection, but which still impressed people at a satisfying level.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...