NEW ROUTE CARD: The Mighty Slioch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loch Maree from the top of the Northwest Buttress, 4 kbSeen from across Loch Maree Slioch is one of the great spectacles of the Northwest Highlands, a lone sandstone molar set in a jawbone of gneiss. Fissured crags ring three sides of the monolith, rising to a striking sawn-off summit plateau; only the southeast flank offers a hands-free line of weakness. With a long approach through pretty woods, and arguably some of the best summit views in Scotland at the end of it, this route is a real gem.

11.85 miles, 19 km, 1,286m ascent, 8 hours. Gairloch

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=868
 Simon Caldwell 28 Oct 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Nearest town Gairloch? It's no bigger than Kinlochewe is it?
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

About 10 times the size (total guess). Still 'town' is stretching things a bit. But I couldn't very well say Ullapool because by the time you've got there you might as well be in Inverness.
 tony 28 Oct 2014

You didn't mention the goats!

First time I went up Slioch, I was planning a nice quiet walk. However, I'm timed it to coincide with the annual Slioch Horseshoe hill race, and some chap from Inverness had 50 of his mates celebrating his last Munro, so it was a bit busy.
In reply to tony:

Forgot about the goats. smelly things.
 Welsh Kate 28 Oct 2014

Not as smelly as the dead one by the bridge when we went up there! That was rancid!
 alan moore 29 Oct 2014
"Mighty Slioch"....where did that one come from? (I have always referred to it as Mighty Slioch).
Is it a Poucherism?
 d_b 29 Oct 2014

My hard won advice for Slioch is that if you plan to go up on a sunday then make sure your car has fuel in the tank before you start. Especially if your tent is in Ullapool.

Assuming that you will find an open petrol station on the coast road somewhere is overly optimistic!

On the plus side I discovered that the Gairloch hostel was quite nice.
In reply to alan moore:

Hmm, I thought it'd just come to me spontaneously. But maybe I'd read it somewhere else before?
In reply to davidbeynon:

Could've been worse then! It's a good hostel innit
 Simon Caldwell 30 Oct 2014

I like to finish this round by descending to the SE end of Lochan Fada and taking the track through Gleann Bianasdail.

I once went down Gleann na Muice to lengthen the day, but wouldn't recommend it unless you somehow got a bike to the end of the Lochan!
In reply to davidbeynon:

No problem with petrol now - Gairloch has 24 hour/ 7 day petrol - via card payment when shop is closed.
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Good to know
 alan moore 30 Oct 2014
Got me wondering now! Couldn't find it in Poucher's "Scottish Peaks" or "the Classic Walks". I'm sure it was a photo caption from way back, as in 'mighty Slioch seen across Loch Maree....' Either way, the name works....
drmarten 30 Oct 2014
In reply to alan moore:

I've just googled it, there are plenty of mentions of the 'mighty' Slioch, I'll be honest I've not heard it described that way until today. I'm intrigued ..
 d_b 30 Oct 2014
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

That's good to know. I was on fumes by the time I got there last time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...