UKC

NEWS: Rock Fall Warning for Cairngorm's Goat Track

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 12 Aug 2014
goat track montage, 3 kbThe effects of yesterday's deluge continue to be felt in the Cairngorms. There's news today that a substantial rock fall has left the Goat Track path in a dangerous state.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69109
 Stuart S 12 Aug 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Also worth noting that on the south side of the Cairngorms, the bridge across the Derry at Derry Lodge has been washed away, and the state of other bridges further upstream is currently unknown - http://www.mcofs.org.uk/news.asp?s=2&id=MCS-N11476&nc=Access%20and%...
 Pummelzacken 26 Aug 2014
In reply to UKC News: I am assuming the advice to avoid the goat track area is still valid? Any info on this is much appreciated. Thanks.

Andy Nisbet 26 Aug 2014
In reply to Pummelzacken:

I've heard it's changed little, so as safe as it ever was.
 CurlyStevo 26 Aug 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Pretty dodgey unless we'll frozen in place then
 Pummelzacken 27 Aug 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Thanks for that, Andy. We went up there today and tbh I couldn't even tell where the rockfall would have been - so to me exactly as you said: safe as it ever was...
 Andy Nisbet 28 Aug 2014

You're welcome. I was being cautious.
 Pummelzacken 28 Aug 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

yea, much appreciated.
 Michael Gordon 30 Aug 2014

Ah, that's good to know. Seems like a big deal was made out of nothing!
 Andy Nisbet 04 Sep 2014
In reply to DefenderKen:

I don't think it's anything to do with recent weather. The cliffs in Sneachda have always had loose sections. The accidents are to do with more popularity, not that the accident rate is any different. Pygmy Ridge is more popular because it's described in scrambling books as well as in climbing guides (don't know whether this is relevant in this case).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...