UKC

NEWS: Change Afoot at Cairngorm Mountain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 07 Apr 2014
Cairngorm, 3 kbHighlands and Islands Enterprise have today announced their choice for a new operator to run the Cairngorm ski centre. Major investment is promised. How might this affect walkers and climbers?

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68841
In reply to UKC News:

>My dream is to see both the prestigious international summer and winter X Games held here.

Jesus Christ. The man's mad.

Is it too late for some eco-terrorism?

jcm
 Doug 07 Apr 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Anyone heard of 'Natural Retreats' ? although after the series of charlatans, frauds & incompetents to come to Aviemore in the past they can't be much worse
 CurlyStevo 07 Apr 2014
I can't really see people from other European countries bar Scotland regularly planning skiing or boarding holidays on cairngorm, the snow is not reliable enough, the wind is often too high, the visibility often close to nil, the runs short, typical conditions icy, the queueing time ridiculous etc etc etc
Post edited at 16:13
 Doug 07 Apr 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

which is why for many years they've tried to develop non ski/boarding activities, even the funicular can be viewed as part of that as a ski on/ski off chair would be better for most skiers (elsewhere in Europe funiculars are for usually for access to the resort from the valley). But then the bad weather, poor visibility etc are still true in summer & if the attraction is indoor why build it half way up a mountain?
 CurlyStevo 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Doug:
Do you think they'll want to build a mountain bike track like aonach mor?

I think the funicular is equivalent to a large cable car as you get on euro ski resorts, it was probably cheaper to build as a funiclular and the land layout allowed it.
Post edited at 16:32
 Michael Gordon 07 Apr 2014
In reply to above:

Just wondering why the funicular was referred to as dysfunctional? Seemed to be working fine last I looked.
 Lone Rider 07 Apr 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> I can't really see people from other European countries bar Scotland regularly planning skiing or boarding holidays on cairngorm, the snow is not reliable enough, the wind is often too high, the visibility often close to nil, the runs short, typical conditions icy, the queueing time ridiculous etc etc etc

Is that why they plan to elevate the Cairn Gorms so that the snow becomes more reliable and the runs longer. As for the other problems not sure how they'll sort them out.
 Northsea 07 Apr 2014
In reply to UKC News:
As Climbers, Walkers, Ski-mountaineers, Guides, Instructors, outdoor enthusiasts please take note. Although investment will enhance present facilities, provide better tea, Coffee and cake for bus tourists and in the future allow Cairngorm mountain sole controlled use of the mountain it will not change anything for you.
To gain additional funding from outside the UK from Europe large projected visitor numbers had environmental groups only allow the development of the funicular go ahead with the implementation of a closed system. The closed system does not allow anyone to leave the building Summer or Winter if walking or climbing I.e. On foot and leaving the ski area. No one in Winter ski-mountaineering can use the funicular for access, only drag lifts which often have no snow at lower levels. Presently the only mountain bike use has been utilising Cairngorm mountains hire bikes and with a guide to descend. Only Cairngorm rangers can take walkers to the summit using the funicular. So no UIAGM guides, MIC, MIA, WML, SML or any other professional or recreational person wishing to use the funicular is able to access the back Corries or ski tour from the Funicular train.
Changing the Closed system through European Parliament must be a priority but will be costly and require some considerable lobbying to get it going but perhaps a new change of interest on Cairngorm will allow this. Perhaps we write to the new owners and let them know our views or a online petition?
Post edited at 23:44
 silhouette 08 Apr 2014

> >My dream is to see both the prestigious international summer and winter X Games held here.

"summer and winter X games". what are "X games" when they're at home? Never heard of 'em.
 toad 08 Apr 2014
In reply to silhouette:
> (In reply to johncoxmysteriously)
>
> [...]
>
> "summer and winter X games". what are "X games" when they're at home? Never heard of 'em.

They are like ordinary games, only angrier.
 wynaptomos 08 Apr 2014
In reply to silhouette:

Lots of jumping around on snowboards, skis, skateboards, bikes etc.
 alasdair19 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Northsea:
Ski tourers have been able to use the funicular for a while and a one way ticket is sold for this.

Mark Bull 08 Apr 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

> Ski tourers have been able to use the funicular for a while and a one way ticket is sold for this.

I don't think that's right: my understanding is that the ski touring ticket is for 2 rides on surface lifts (which can get you to the Ptarmigan).
 Northsea 09 Apr 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

You are not able to get a single only ski touring ticket for the Funicular, you can only use surface lifts if leaving the ski area.
David Gibson 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Dysfunctional because it was inoperable during much of the winter season due to being snowed up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...