Zero-G swimsuit photoshoot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Last 19 Feb 2014

Looks like an enjoyable but challenging shoot to say the least!

http://www.space.com/24726-kate-upton-zero-g-sports-illustrated.html
OP Tom Last 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Btw, I don't know know if this is work safe necessarily - not if your boss objects to women in swimsuits certainly - although it's not dodgy in the slightest.

But the video is funny and great from a practical photography point of view, rather than pervy. Just saying like.

I can barely point my flash in the right direction on Earth, let alone zero-g!
 Blue Straggler 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

That is good stuff - it is interesting to see everyone calmly taking the repeated parabolic flights in their stride - I imagine it's a bit nerve-wracking at first.

The funny thing is that the still pictures aren't really dramatic in this age of digital photo manipulation - i.e. they could easily have been mocked up in full gravity. The video is a lot more revealing (no pun intended)
OP Tom Last 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Great isn't it!

The model is really impressive, she seems to have got the hang of it really well, all things considered. But possibly they make a lot of arcs.

Apparently many people throw up doing this, wouldn't look so good in a calender!

At close to £5000 a go, I wonder if it's worth it for those with the funds, or similar feel to SCUBA or skydiving?
 Blue Straggler 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

they made 13 flights
OP Tom Last 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> they made 13 flights

Yes somewhat cheaper and barely less effective to just do it on Photoshop as you say then, given that the pictures aren't that great anyway.

Tell you what though, if I was a member of that creative team, I'd damn-well be lobbying for the flight and downplaying the possibility of doing it as a digital manipulation!
 sbc_10 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

"Digital manipulation"..there's some of that going on at 00:31.
What job is that one then?.."plumper"..."key grip"..."tissue correction"..
where do I apply?
In reply to Tom Last:

> Yes somewhat cheaper and barely less effective to just do it on Photoshop

Kate Upton is one of world's top models at the moment so I imagine that 13 * £5000, plus photographers' fees, was chickenfeed in the grand scheme of her overall fee.
OP Tom Last 21 Feb 2014

> Kate Upton is one of world's top models at the moment so I imagine that 13 * £5000, plus photographers' fees, was chickenfeed in the grand scheme of her overall fee.

True. I've been on photoshoots with some of the world's crappest models and still thought it amazing how much some clients are prepared to throw at a shoot
 Henry Iddon 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Amazes me that the model often gets more than the photographer !
 deepsoup 21 Feb 2014
The "Zero Gravity Corporation" logo was suspiciously prominent throughout, it seems unlikely they paid full price. (Besides, there's no way 13 flights would cost 13x the price of a single flight.)

Still seems a pretty staggering amount of money to spend to generate some fairly meh photos though.
In reply to deepsoup:

> The "Zero Gravity Corporation" logo was suspiciously prominent throughout, it seems unlikely they paid full price. (Besides, there's no way 13 flights would cost 13x the price of a single flight.)

> Still seems a pretty staggering amount of money to spend to generate some fairly meh photos though.

You answered your second point with your first. It's not really about the finished product in this case. It's about circulating names and strengthening brands.
 FactorXXX 21 Feb 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

Still seems a pretty staggering amount of money to spend to generate some fairly meh photos though.

Yes, but the advertising gained by people talking about the video, probably more than makes up for that...
 deepsoup 21 Feb 2014

The photos weren't the point of the shoot. Yeah, I can see that. I'm just a bit baffled by the vast resources being brought to bear on er.. well, I suppose I'm just a bit baffled generally.
In reply to Henry Iddon:

Film actors often get more than the writer and director...
 crayefish 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

> Looks like an enjoyable but challenging shoot to say the least!

Not least because of the distraction to the camera man of zero-g boobies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...