lightwave fastrack vs podsac alpine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 12 Feb 2014
Looking for a new 40 litre pack mainly for summer use. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either of the above as they are both going for about £70 at the moment.

I've already got a mountain hardwear directissima which is amazing and bombproof, however I don't find the back system that comfy over just a tshirt/ fleece. I'm 5'6 so need a bag with a short back option which both of these have.

Got the MH one years ago before I knew what was doing. And I think its a med/large back, hence the discomfort.
 Welsh Kate 12 Feb 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

Hi CharlieMack.
I have the Fastpack 40 (not Fastrack!), from a friend who didn't like it, which had been given to him by a friend who didn't like it. Neither liked it because it didn't fit, but they were both at least 4" taller than me. I'm 5'7" and it fits me very well - in fact I find it extremely comfortable.

It's a simple design, eats kit very well, and I've abused mine seriously for years with only a few scuffed bits of fabric (and the occasional small hole in the wand pockets which are less tough so I've put my walking poles through them a couple of times when storing them). Despite Lightwave's claim (if they still make it), it's not waterproof, and I wouldn't say it was any more water-resistant than any of my other tougher rucksacks, but I don't really expect rucksacks to be waterproof anyway.
OP CharlieMack 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Welsh Kate:

That's great Kate cheers. (Yea Fastpack 40, my bad) Yea i tried it on and it felt very comfortable indeed. Especially the hip belt arrangement. I was very dubious about it's waterproof claim, but i've already got loads of dry bags.
It's great to hear its hard-wearing, it feels very flimsy fabric, but i was just trusting on their expertise in tent building to back up their hard-wearing claims.
In reply to CharlieMack:

Podsacs are going for cheap on sportspursuit at the moment!
In reply to David Kirsfelds:

Ah, good spot. Cheers, think i might get some dry bags while i'm there.
 nathan79 12 Feb 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

Alpine 40 for less than £60 on Sportpursuit is an absolute steal!
I've got a size A, love it but find it a bit too short for my torso so I've snapped up a size B to give that a go.

Double check the Podsac website if you're looking at other stuff though, a lot of the drysacs and stuffsacs are cheaper directly from them with the current sake
In reply to nathan79:

> I've got a size A, love it but find it a bit too short for my torso so I've snapped up a size B to give that a go.

Take it you're slightly taller then?
 nathan79 12 Feb 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

5'11", so the size A sits higher than it should. Never gave it a thought when I was buying. Did me fine for the last year mind you!
 martinph78 19 Feb 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

> i tried it on and it felt very comfortable indeed. Especially the hip belt arrangement.

That's the most important thing right there!

My mate has the 70l, and we're not sure that it is waterproof either. The back system still lets water in over time. However, it's not a heavy pack, so it's not like you are paying for the waterproofing in extra weight.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...