NEWS: Glacier 'Discovered' in Scotland's Recent Past

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH News 21 Jan 2014
Looking down on Coire an Lochain, 2 kbAt least one glacier existed in Scotland within the last 400 years, according to a boffin at the University of Dundee. That's some 11,000 years more recently than previously thought. Models suggest there'd have been others at the time too.

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=68660
In reply to UKH News:

When I was on Tower Ridge on Ben Nevis in August there was still snow in the northern corries, wouldn't take a lot for that to start building year on year.
 Alun 21 Jan 2014
In reply to UKH News:

Interesting article, thank you.

Minor editorial complaint:

> At least one glacier existed in Scotland within the last 400 years, according to a boffin at the University of Dundee.

Why the use of the work 'boffin' in the subheading? What's wrong with 'geographer', or 'researcher'? (as used in the rest of the article.)
 Doug 21 Jan 2014
In reply to UKH News:

Another 'why boffin' comment, I don't know all the authors but several of them are keen mountaineers - why don't you contact them (Martin Kirkbride's email is on the paper)
In reply to Alun:

Sorry, it was meant to be a tongue in cheek mimicry of tabloid speak. Well I amuse myself if noone else.
 JohnnyW 22 Jan 2014
In reply to UKH News:

I didn't realise it was actually not known, as it were. Even the SMC Munro book shows a picture of Coire Lochain with a title like 'Scotland's only glacier', or something like that, (not got it to hand).

As the chap says above, it really wouldn't take too much to form if we had a string of winters like 2010/11/12, would it? So back then......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...