UKC

NEWS: Jim Mann breaks Bob Graham Round Winter Record

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 11 Dec 2013
Jim running into Wasdale, 3 kb

On the 1st December, Jim Mann broke the winter record for the Bob Graham Round by running the round in 18 hours and 18 minutes, beating the previous record (held by Jim) by 2 hours. 

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68578
 Bob 11 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Nice one Jim. A nice lightweight approach.

Bob
In reply to UKC News:

Great effort. Looking forward to my BG (Summer) in 2014!
 Andy Moles 11 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:

What are the rules for it being a winter round, is it just a seasonal daylight thing or has it anything to do with 'winter conditions'?
 Bob 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Andy Moles:
> What are the rules for it being a winter round, is it just a seasonal daylight thing or has it anything to do with 'winter conditions'?

The "rules" are laid out here: http://www.bobgrahamclub.co.uk/index.php?page=winter . Basically the months of December, January and February but with the period around the shortest day (roughly 13th Dec to 10th Jan) defined as midwinter.

I should add, it's completely arbitrary as the weather can be anything from mild to Arctic both within and outwith these dates.

Bob
Post edited at 09:53
 Andy Moles 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Bob:

Thanks.

Makes a lot of sense, as I guess you'd have no end of debate if winter conditions were part of it!
 GraB 11 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:
Nice one Jim. Very well done.

I particularly like the comment about the low point / pep talk after leg 2. On my round a couple of years ago, Jim, who supporting somebody else on leg 2 and was still at the cars at Dunmail, did just that for me.

> Jim hit a low point after dropping time on this leg and with a niggling hamstring was close to pulling out, until Steve his pacer gave him a pep talk highlighting all the positives, spurring Jim to carry on. After another running changeover, Jim started leg 3 with a fiery determination.

I'd had a pretty bad leg 2 in the mist, made lots of navigation errors, taken some very poor lines on Fairfield & Seat Sandal and I got to Dunmail over 2 hours down on my planned schedule. My support crew, and Jim, managed to find some words to get me up and moving again. Fortunately I never hit another low point and by the time I was down in Wasdale it was starting to look like it was on. Thanks Jim - and all the others!
Post edited at 10:57
In reply to UKC News:

Good Effort!!

Has anyone got close to breaking Billy Blands 1982 record of 13 hours 53?

31 years is a bloody long time
 Banned User 77 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Kipper-Phil Smith:
Mark Palmer? 14:59? I think is the closest for a long time.. but i'm not too up on the BG.. But at that time Mark was one of the best around on the longs so it shows how bloody good it is. Which is still a good 60 mins off?

I'd love Killian Journet to have a go.. it would great to a comparison. It's a runners course though but not sure there is anyone in the UK at the moment.
Post edited at 12:46
 Bob 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Kipper-Phil Smith:

No, three people are around an hour behind: Stuart Bland; Mark Hartell and Mark Palmer. Stuart Bland's time remains the fastest first time round as Billy had done his first round some years before, which was also the record at the time.

Here's some splits - http://www.mh.k313.com/mh/fell/bg/fastestBG.html

Billy had a bit of a purple patch that summer and several records of his still stand, Wasdale for example was done just three weeks after his BG record.
 sea anenome 11 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Nice one Jim - highly amused to see Andy looking more wrecked than you at the finish! No problems with the tricky navigation through the market place this time?
Pippa
In reply to Andy Moles:

> What are the rules for it being a winter round, is it just a seasonal daylight thing or has it anything to do with 'winter conditions'?

Aye.. I think its so arbitary I like how its set. I did the winter paddy following those rules.. Specifying actual conditions just goes too far for me.

As long as you record the weather, conditions, dates.. people can decide for themselves what they think winter is.. certainly for parts of mine it was just glorious.. probably quicker than summer conditions for the first night.. so good I wasn't far off summer record splits for the first two legs as it was perfect snow conditions and a perfect huge moon.. but then suffered badly on iced up rocks and breaking crust in the day light..

All the way up Snowdon I followed perfect hard neve footprints.. it was just so easy compared to the summer even.

be interesting what Jim could do in the summer.. what was his summer time. Must be pushing sub 17 at least?
 Bob 11 Dec 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Bizarrely his summer time was 22:10 - post #13 on this thread: http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?12713-Leg-1-pacer-need-for-24...

Bob
 ablackett 11 Dec 2013
In reply to sea anenome:

I had run the Hexhamshire Hobble that morning, but yes, I was wrecked. No argument there, it was a bloody quick leg 5.
In reply to Bob:

Jim's splits are on the Hangar 18 blog page.

http://h18-orr.blogspot.co.uk
In reply to Bob:

Wow.. but sounds like he was comfortable.. but must want to put that right..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...