UKC

NEWS: Google Street View - Coming to a Footpath Near You?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 21 Aug 2013
Alien invasion on Regent's Canal , 4 kbThe digitisation of Britain's countryside has come a step closer as the canal network begins to be added to Google's Street View. The Wales Coast Path might just be next.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68290
 Toccata 21 Aug 2013
In reply to UKC News:

A month to walk 100 miles?
 thedatastream 21 Aug 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Why does it feel like April 1st?
In reply to Toccata:

The 18kg probably starts to feel a bit heavy after a few miles. They might have to walk slow to make sure it captures well too.
In reply to UKC News: How long until we have Google Route View?! We can get all our beta online now! Yay!
 98%monkey 21 Aug 2013
In reply to UKC News:

I can't help feeling this is digital life deteriorating the the fabric of real life.

Some things should only exist if you are actually there.

This feels like tarnish rather than garnish.
 mloskot 22 Aug 2013
In reply to El3ctroFuzz: That will be the day on-sight has died
 yorkshireman 22 Aug 2013
In reply to 98%monkey:

> I can't help feeling this is digital life deteriorating the the fabric of real life.

Despite being around for several years, Streetview hasn't made my life any worse and I would suggest on balance its a positive. For instance I used it yesterday to check out some parks and roads for somewhere I can go for a run while I'm away on business next week. Very handy.

> Some things should only exist if you are actually there.

Says who? It's not like a 360 pano on Google is a true substitute for being in the great outdoors and experiencing things first hand. Do you have the same attitude to wildlife documentaries on the TV?

Removed User 22 Aug 2013
In reply to mloskot: We'll all be clipping low grade sport climbs by then though anyway.
 Lone Rider 22 Aug 2013
In reply to Removed User: We'll all be clipping low grade retro bolted sport climbs by then though anyway.
Corrections to above comment.
 Cobbler 22 Aug 2013
In reply to 98%monkey:

What's your opinion of photographs?
 toad 22 Aug 2013
In reply to UKC News: There's been a low tech version of this for the canals for years - someone has photographed every section of canal and strung them together on a website. I was quite suprised to find a picture of my arse in one of his shots of Llangollen!
 matt perks 23 Aug 2013
In reply to Lone Rider:
> (In reply to Hardonicus) We'll all be clipping low grade retro bolted sport climbs by then though anyway.
> Corrections to above comment.

Retroed comments?

matt perks 23 Aug 2013
In reply to UKC News: I'd do the Cuillin Ridge!
 98%monkey 03 Sep 2013
In reply to yorkshireman:

This is more of a general feeling about the world. Enablement through technology is dis-enablement in many ways, it is an assist.

It means what we accomplish is diluted and therefore the spirit required is diminished.

You could have just turned up with your running shoes and dealt with whatever was there - but you didn't.

Cumulatively that will have an effect on society.
 yorkshireman 03 Sep 2013
In reply to 98%monkey:
> (In reply to yorkshireman)
>
> This is more of a general feeling about the world. Enablement through technology is dis-enablement in many ways, it is an assist.

I get that you're having a sort of general neo-luddite rant, and that's fine as I'm guilty myself sometimes, but I just don't buy it.

Streetview doesn't diminish the actual thing it captures. Arguably one of the greatest steps forward in environmental conservation was the photograph of the Earth taken from the Apollo moon landings. This huge technical feat made it visibly clear just how small and fragile this planet really is, and made it seem all the more wonderous as a result of seeing it in context.

The view from the top of a mountain, is no less beautiful if you're there, just because Google posted it on a server somewhere.

> You could have just turned up with your running shoes and dealt with whatever was there - but you didn't.

Yes, but I was in Atlanta - its a very dangerous city in parts and lots of it is inaccessible on foot because of the massive road system. Instead, I found a reasonably busy and fairly safe corridor to get me to a large beautiful park. And I didn't get shot.

You could stick a pin in an atlas and go there on holiday, but I doubt that's what you do. You rely on feedback, brochures, reviews, tv programmes, websites etc to get informed? There's a place for serendipity, but who truly leaves everything to chance?

> Cumulatively that will have an effect on society.

Of course it will - all technology does, but you automatically assume that the net balance is negative. I beg to differ. Is society worse since the invention of the telephone? Or antibiotics? The car? They all have pros and cons.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...