UKC

NEWS: Cuillin Traverse Record Broken

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 19 Jun 2013
Finlay Wild at the Fairy Pools after his traverse, 3 kbA new speed record has been set for the Cuillin Main Ridge Traverse, shaving about 2.5 minutes from the previous fastest time

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68133
In reply to UKC News:

This is just brilliant. Congratulations.

Spreads on when this will go under three hours?!

jcm
 Banned User 77 19 Jun 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: in the wet too...
In reply to IainRUK:

Exactly. If FW can do 3.10 then chunks of several minutes are still coming off the record, so you'd think there was no question it'll go under three hours in the reasonably foreseeable future.

jcm
 GraB 19 Jun 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
Brilliant! Congratulations again Finlay. I remember you both coming past me 10 years ago on my first (failed!) attempt at the ridge in a day and was impressed at the speed you were both going then.

Looking forward to seeing what happens at the Ben race this year...
 BALD EAGLE 19 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Incredible effort from Finley! Only about 13 hours quicker than my traverse yonks ago...
 JLS 19 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Sgurr a' Ghreadaidh 2.00.06

Sgurr a' Mhadaidh 2.07.47

So, 7min 41sec between two Munro summits. I'm guessing Munro didn't envisage that!
 jazzyjackson 19 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News:
Amazing! ; ) Hats off.
In reply to UKC News:

Interesting actually how much emphasis FW's account places on learning the route rather than physical training. Perhaps the latter's just not interesting to write about.

jcm
 The Lemming 19 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News:

I came close then when I did my traverse 10 years ago. I achieved it in 19 hours. However I am allowed a little leeway as I hit the stop watch when I arrived at my tent at the Slig.
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

I thought it interesting that the difference between dry and wet, or at least slippery, conditions was only five minutes.

ALC
In reply to a lakeland climber:

Agreed - extraordinary. You have to suspect he can go faster than 3.10 in good conditions.

jcm
 Bacon Butty 19 Jun 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Interesting actually how much emphasis FW's account places on learning the route rather than physical training. Perhaps the latter's just not interesting to write about.
>
> jcm

Having read about his previous exploits, he doesn't need to train...the boy's a machine!!!
 Banned User 77 19 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News: Pretty special year.. the winter sub 24 ramsay by jon gay.. the womens paddy buckley record by nicky spinks... now this..
 J Brown 19 Jun 2013
In reply to GraB:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
> Brilliant! Congratulations again Finlay. I remember you both coming past me 10 years ago on my first (failed!) attempt at the ridge in a day and was impressed at the speed you were both going then.
>
> Looking forward to seeing what happens at the Ben race this year...

Absolutely - I wonder if he could get close to (well, beat) that record. I'd love to see it happen!
 Offwidth 19 Jun 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Agreed, and tends to play second fiddle to the no more impressive techncial achievements.
In reply to J Brown:

Unless you have a truly exceptional runner then I think you need two or three fairly evenly matched runners really pushing each other to break records. An example would be Andy Styan's Langdale record - he had Billy Bland and Kenny Stuart on his shoulder at Blea Tarn neither of whom were exactly shrinking violets when it came to descending. No wonder few have got close to the record.

ALC
 Cooper51 19 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News: Superb!
 GraB 19 Jun 2013
Well I'm sure you're right... But FW has been eating up the records (in Scotland) this year and last. I'm not sure if Rob Jebb is entered for the Ben race this year, but if he is and on form then it could be pretty interesting.
 petestack 19 Jun 2013
> Unless you have a truly exceptional runner

You do!
 Niall 19 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Dammit! I bought a sleeping bag from Es Tressider on Ebay a couple of years ago, it doesn't seem so special now
 Ian W 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Niall:

Blimey, outdoor speed climbing competitions..........
In reply to petestack:

I'm not doubting he's exceptional but sometimes you need a little push and it's often hard to tell in a race if you are close to a record whether that's the course record or a personal PB, unless you are doing so much better.

Looking at Scottish Hill Runners his last two times have been within 5 minutes of Kenny Stuart's record or very approximately 5%. That's quite a bit to make up though not outside the bounds of possibility. Should be interesting.

ALC
 petestack 19 Jun 2013

Likewise, I'm well aware what 5% means in running terms and never said Fin's *going* to break the Ben record, but...

1. He *is* truly exceptional.
2. I'd say he's got as good a shout as anybody!
 hwackerhage 20 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Good to see a second GP who has studied at the University of Aberdeen and who is now doing rather well in the Highlands!
 zigzag 20 Jun 2013
Wow.. top man is Finlay, hard to believe that you could traverse it in that time. I took two days to do the greater traverse but what an experience sleeping out on the ridge, my advice to anyone is to take your time and you'll savour the experience all the more
jimmyv 20 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News: LEGEND and a very nice chap....
 steelbru 20 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News:
A few nice words from previous record holder Es T http://www.es-on-ice.co.uk/news/show/135
In reply to UKC News: After doing the traverse this week findlay's recent run is even more mind blowing. There is so much complex ground to cover.

Just wondering what's the consensus on using a rope for fast ascents? I would like to do a fast one day traverse but don't fancy downclimbing the TD gap and the Inn Pinn so would like to abseil these. Does this invalidate the traverse?!
 steelbru 20 Jun 2013
In reply to Patrick mcbride:
There's a set of "rules" if you want to try and claim the record. But for mere mortals then get there however you can !!
 Michael Gordon 21 Jun 2013
In reply to Patrick mcbride:

It's all just personal ethics. As long as you start at Gars Bheinn and finish on Sgurr na Gillean and keep to the crest inbetween you can do what you like.

I think a good mountaineering 'rule' is don't rely on others, so you can carry as much equipment as you want but this obviously makes it harder as well as easier.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...