NEWS: Cairngorm Funicular Walks Approved

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH News 20 May 2013
Cairn Gorm's summit - now accessible by train. Well almost., 2 kbHighland Council last week gave the green light to a scheme that allows walkers to access the summit of Cairn Gorm from the top station of the funicular, overturning an original condition under which the funicular was granted planning consent.

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=68059
 Duncan I 20 May 2013
In reply to UKH News:
At the end of this report you make the comment that it is "an odd arrangement" given Scotland's access laws. Thinking back to the amount of resistance to this project that was generated throughout the 90s, it was a hard-wrought concession that the imposition of the funicular would not lead to an influx of people onto the summit plateau with the commensurate environmental impact.
The cynic may see SNH as complicit in the commercial agenda of the funicular company as it would be a whole new market of user if one could could get out at the summit and walk back down. Yes, in Scotland there is unfettered access rights to the high mountains, but it needs to be remembered that there are responsibilities. And let's be clear, no one is stopping you from walking up Cairngorm - it is an agreement between many stakeholders and participants with environmental sensitivty as its main driver that is stopping folk from taking an expensive, visually intrusive and deceivingly convenient option. I wonder if, given the current economic climate, the project would have received the same Scottish government funding that it did 15 years ago, and whether this is an agenda on the part of HIE to maximise a return on their multi-million pound bale-out of the funicular.
Some recent info here: http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/newsandmediacentre/17364.aspx
 Sean Kelly 24 May 2013
In reply to UKH News: So can we expect the same in Wales as people access the summit from the train?
 Gerald Davison 18 Jun 2013
In reply to Duncan I:

I'm all in favour of protecting the plateau from train loads of tourists, but if memory serves me right there was no such restriction on the chairlift which the funicular replaced. Summer tourists (and walkers) could (and did) leave the top station of the Chairlift.

Or am I mistaken?

Maybe a "different" type of person would ride the train instead of the chair lift. It's all rather long while ago now so my memory may be playing tricks.

Gerald

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...