UKC

NEW ARTICLE: How to Beat Blisters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 12 Apr 2013
Cool foot spa after a hot Cuillin traverse, 4 kbThey may be small, but few things can spoil a hill day as effectively as blisters. A bad case might even put you temporarily out of action. But take these few simple measures and blisters can be banished for good.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=5286
 benstu 12 Apr 2013
In reply to UKC Articles: prevention is always best i can only amuse the blister in the pic was from a sas run to get the job in 50 years & many a blister never have i let one ruin my day ,this could have required a rescue its not funny
 neuromancer 12 Apr 2013
In reply to UKC Articles:

Climbers tape is generally not sticky enough and does not hold despite moisture ingress. Once the tape is saturated, it will not dry, will pucker and create more blisters.

What you want is this:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wound-Care-Leukotape-P-Sportstape/dp/B0009Q1OPA

Accept no imitations.
 Vaughany89 12 Apr 2013
In reply to UKC Articles: I too second leukoplast. A couple of Nijmegens and a Death March have taught me that nothings sticks as well or as long as leukoplast.........Free advertising, can I have some free tape

jwlhall 13 Apr 2013
In reply to UKC Articles: Vaseline works, but not a dab, a generous coating on the whole foot an inbetween toes, more than feels right. And reapply. Just ran Transgrancanaria - 74 miles, 24,000ft of ascent with not a single blister this way.
 FrJ 14 Apr 2013
In reply to UKC Articles:

Leukoplast sleek works well for me. Being a PVC dressing it allows the sock to slip easily over the area which would otherwise receive friction. Can be difficult to get hold of though.
Woottang 17 Apr 2013
In reply to UKC Articles: I'm lucky enough to have epidermolysis bullosa simplex, which means that one of the proteins which attach the epidermal layer of skin to the dermal layer below are defective. Needless to say this means I can blister fairly easily, which has allowed me to refine my blister prevention skills!

As jwhall pointed out vaseline is good, I have gone out with my shoes or boots squelching underfoot which is an odd feeling but seems to work.

Another less extreme approach which I did not see mentioned is using antiperspirant and talcum powder on your feet to combat the dampness caused by sweat, on a hot summers day this is a lifesaver!

For heel blisters as well I have found 5x5 dressings taped on using micro-pore to be very effective.

Another recommendation is silver socks of various different brands. Pricey, and I don't know why they work, but they do. They are at any rate antimicrobial which stops odor and may help preventing infection in those that have inevitable popped.

I'll admit I do lance blisters, but there are those where this helps, and those that you definitely do not want to lance. I've just figured this out the hard way by trial and error. The hard and excruciating way.

Without this advice and the advice in the article in the summer I could probably barely walk 2 miles without getting blisters, but as it stands I can prevent them well enough to run half marathons and enjoy good long days in the hills.
cpsharb 18 Apr 2013
In reply to UKC Articles: Can't beat a pair of decent moisture wicking socks for a blister free hill day! I've found Bridgedale's to be the best: www.bridgedale.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...