Kenton Cool Lecture

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blizzard 25 Feb 2013
What a refreshing change, someone who acknowledges the importance of Sherpas on Everest and what they do for clients. His lecture was entertaining and informative. He's a pretty down to earth bloke, not at all what I expected. Well worth a visit.
 mypyrex 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard: Going to his do in Llandudno on Friday. Looking forward to it.
 crustypunkuk 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
I went to a talk with him and Neil Gresham for Sherpa gear a few months back and i was very impressed by him as a man. Like you say, he seems to have a genuine concern for the Sherpa as people, not just as a tool to be used. I found his enthusiasm totally infectious too!
 Bloodfire 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard: yup was at the Brum lecture. Right on the front row. I have great respect for people that have respect. For mountains, for Sherpas and for life in general. Too many guides cream up the money whilst their client lie dead on the mountains. Oh, and I might just buy a Sherpa t shirt!!
Annoying Twit 26 Feb 2013
I was astonished to hear of the crowd behaviour at Base Camp. I saw the pictures of the queues in the press. I was shocked that the very next day, the same places were empty. I.e. that everyone left on the first available day, even though there were later opportunities to summit.
OP Blizzard 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Annoying Twit:

What crowd behaviour, when? What was most telling was Kenton's description of summit fever which made national newspaper headlines. 250 crazy people queuing at the Hilary step last year. How dumb can you get?
Annoying Twit 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Did he not then make the point of patience being a virtue? And show photos of empty slopes the next day?

The crowd behaviour (which I thought he described) was that everyone was so pumped to go, that they all went on the first plausible day, causing the well known huge queues. But that when Kenton went the next day, there was hardly anyone else climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...