Mick Fowler on film?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie Hageman 23 Feb 2013
Am I imagining things, or was there a film (or a series of films) on mountaineering in Britain, shown on television many years ago, that included a film of Mick Fowler climbing ice on Skye or Beinn Bhan?
 TobyA 23 Feb 2013
In reply to Jamie Hageman: It was the cliff round the corner from the Belach na Ba. A new route done for the BBC, they called it Triple Echo and that became the name of the production company. I remember most clearly him nutting some icicles to clear them away. This was the days before leashless tools so that was easier than getting out of his wrist loop I guess. Same series as Ettle doing White Magic, and Cubby doing Mega Route X, IIRC.
OP Jamie Hageman 23 Feb 2013
In reply to TobyA: Aha, you're right! Marvellous
 TobyA 23 Feb 2013
In reply to Jamie Hageman: I think I have crackly recordings of the series on VHS tape somewhere despite not having owned a VCR for about 6 years! The BBC did a second similar series where Fowler went rockclimbing in Lofoten. IIRC he climbed with Mark Garthwaite (who I hear is currently stuck in a cabin in North Norway again!) and the route was called the Codfather I think.
 paul-1970 23 Feb 2013
In reply to Jamie Hageman:
It was in an episode of Cameron McNeish's series "The Edge: One Hundred years of Scottish Mountaineering".

My fondest memory of the series was the re-creation of Bill Murray's epic ascent of Tower Ridge and lasso-ing his way out of Tower Gap!
 Steve Perry 23 Feb 2013
In reply to Jamie Hageman: Yeah The Edge, I have it on a twin VHS box set. Shame it never got re-formatted to DVD.
 paul-1970 23 Feb 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> I remember most clearly him nutting some icicles to clear them away.

The great thing I remember most from this moment is that he nuts away the ice, in mid conversation to his second. He's in conversation shouting down the route, and then heads away the ice with his hemet in a split conversational moment. So he goes quiet while he does it, but does it so normally and causually that it totally implies that he's done this a thousand times before. Perhaps even mid-conversation too.

wilkie14c 23 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:
> (In reply to wee jamie) Yeah The Edge, I have it on a twin VHS box set. Shame it never got re-formatted to DVD.

I have actually captured this series from VHS to DVD, it's on 3 disks IIRC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...