NEW ROUTE CARD: Alport Castles - the Pride of Peakland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alport Castles, 3 kbThere's more to the Peak District than heather moors, gritstone edges and limestone dales. Tucked away in the heart of the district lies a wonderful mountain landscape in miniature, where connoisseurs can scramble up rocky towers, explore hidden nooks and crannies or relax by the tarn, drinking in superlative views over Kinder and into the heart of Bleaklow. In terms of scenic splendor, this walk to Alport Castles is hard to beat and includes woodland, open moor and a return beside the reservoirs of the Upper Derwent Valley...well worth a few hours of anyone's time!

8.28 miles, 13.32 km, 361m ascent, 4 – 5 hours. Bamford

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=583
 lb1dej 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Nicholas Livesey: Yes smashing walk - have done it twice recently. Last time was a recce for my walking club 3 weeks ago. Snow cover however made the route very unpredictable. I stepped inadvertently off the path towards the castles and went up to my knee in a bog. Also path down back to the reservoir was difficult to follow. Decide to change my club walk to Taxal Edge and Shining Tor where (on Wednesday 13th) it was horizontally snowing and I stepped into a snow drift up to mid thigh. We cut the walk short due to the conditions.
Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...