Looking for freebiesponsored kit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blizzard 20 Feb 2013
Someone on UKC suggested I try looking for free kit from companies for m forthcoming Himalayan expedition. Apart from Ellis Brigham, Cotswold,Equipe Outdoors, Joe Brown, Nevis Sport, Go Outdoors and Needlesport I can't think of who else I might be able to approach for gear donation.

Can you help me out and suggest a few more companies I can try? Thanks
 itsThere 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard: ultimate outdoors
 stewieatb 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

You want to go to manufacturers directly - Rab, ME, MHW, PHD - and ask them. It costs them less to give away kit and they have bigger publicity/advertising budgets, which is what an exped sponsorship is likely to come out of.
In reply to Blizzard:

You've got the wrong end of the stick. No one will give you kit for free.

Companies might give you kit, but they will expect a fair bit of publicity for it in return.

I have approached retailers in the past, but only ones that I have had a previous relationship with, with some success.

However you are far more likely to be successful if you contact the manufacturer direct.

There is no such thing as a free lunch!

I'm fairly good at acquiring things. PM if you need any advice.
 Petarghh 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

You've also got more chance of getting gear donated if you're a good photographer or writer... both is ideal !

Manufacturers have their own sponsored athletes so you need to give them a reason to give you a nice shiny waterproof for your holiday
 Sir Chasm 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard: Is this for the trekking trip you're not arsed about going on? I'm sure people will be fighting to give you free kit.
 nufkin 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

These folk have historically been a soft touch for free gear:

http://www.defense.gov/landing/comment.aspx

As with suggestions above, you just need to tailor your application to attract their attention
 Mr. Lee 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Companies aren't going to give you anything for trekking around the Everest region. Thousands of people do what you are planning every year so there is no potential for publicity from their point of view.
 Cameron94 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard: If it is a trekking trip I would be very surprised if you receive any kit/sponsership from companies. They're looking for cutting edge routes that make for good photos with their logo in.
OP Blizzard 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Mr. Lee:

This wasnt my idea. Someone elses suggestion. I just put it out there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...