a little trouble finding tougher boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sleepy_trucker 20 Feb 2013
I'll try to keep this story short....

I got back into walking a couple of years back and got quite hooked, I remembered lots that I'd learned in my scouting days so quickly acquired all the gear I needed. Within 6 months, I was booked on a summer M.L. course and have since been building up my Q.M.Ds

I'm on salomon quest boots which fit me beautifully but, in my opinion, aren't really up to the more mountainous terrain that I'm walking in these days and I think they've recently sprung a leak. SO, I've been trying to find a more "hardcore" boot that I'm happy with but I'm really not winning.

I can't seem to find any B1 boots that fit well so I'm forced to go for B2, that's ok - just one of those things but I'm now on my third pair and have just gone from wearing them indoors to walking the dog in them (next step's gentler walks in the peak district).

These new boots feel a lot better than the last pair except the little toe on my right foot doesn't feel like it's got enough room.

They're suade with the usual high rubber rand if that helps with the next question;

Sooo, Are they likely to stretch a little with use? And/or can such boots be stretched slightly by someone in the know?
 Pritchard 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Sleepy_trucker:

I find B2's a bit too warm and uncomfortable on long walks in summer. I use a pair of Altberg Malastangs for summer use (living in Scotland). They are B1, great for scrambling and the like, comfortable and come in 5 widths (I take the extra wides). They have a waterproof liner and are 1 peice leather so not likely to lose their waterproof qualities for a long time. On the downside the leather means they're a bit heavier and it doesn't have a rand. I too had trouble getting anything else that fit.

Craig.
 Pritchard 20 Feb 2013
.... And to actually answer your question... If they have a decent rand then they probably won't stretch too much under the rand. You could try a rubbing bar? (Not advised if Goretex or such though as it can tear the liner). If I were you and you've already been out in them ie unable to take them back, then just get out on a proper walk in them, tape up your 'tight' spot if your worried, you should know quite quickly if they're a goer, if they're just a bit snug they might very well wear in, if they trash your feet probably not...

Good luck

Craig.
I had some mallerstangs too but the lace dug in and my toes went numb, particularly descending.

I think you're probably right though, it's just a case of trying them and hoping it works out, sadly I only really seem to find out at 10 miles or ascending / descending - which is what I've been doing but at £200 a shot it's a gamble I'm quickly tiring of. They've all been fitted in the shop by the way.

I don't tend to do much in the way of harder walking in the heat so that's not really an issue and of course I've got the salomons if it's hot.
 Neil Pratt 21 Feb 2013

If you're looking for boots with a bit of space in the forefoot, have you had a look at the North Face range? I have a pair of the Verbara Fastpackers which are very roomy at the front, and a lot lighter than they look on the shelf. They have a B2 which I think is designed around a similar last.

Just a good pair of one-piece leather boots is all you need. The ones I'm using at the moment are Alt Berg - they are excellent.
 eltankos 21 Feb 2013
Scarpa SL, that is all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...