Survey assessing social class and outdoor participation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
myers1990 19 Feb 2013
Hello, I'm currently a third year at the University of Cumbria in Penrith, reading for a Outdoor degree. I was hoping to get some feedback from anybody with 10 minutes spare who has an interest in any land based outdoor sport. Thank You very much in advance

Please download the questionnaire off my skydrive from the following link:

http://sdrv.ms/W8D4dQ

And return to me at

s1007143@uni.cumbria.ac.uk

Thanks again
ccmm 19 Feb 2013
In reply to myers1990:

What's the difference between hill walking and mountain walking? And no hill running?

You'll get more replies if you reconfigure it in survey monkey.
myers1990 20 Feb 2013
> (In reply to myers1990)
>
> What's the difference between hill walking and mountain walking? And no hill running?
>
> You'll get more replies if you reconfigure it in survey monkey.

Sorry should have explained it just the height, anything below 600m is considered a hill and anything above 600m is a mountain, and I tried to do it on surveymonkey but has a limit of 10 questions.
 peas65 20 Feb 2013
In reply to myers1990:

i do always wonder how for a dissertation people hope to get any useful feed back with just 10 questions. Surely you would be better off paying a little bit to get a better survey than using a free one and having pointless results getting you a low grade?
 kbow265 20 Feb 2013
In reply to myers1990: Google docs has a free survey thing too
 toad 20 Feb 2013
In reply to myers1990: survey fatigue. Get yourself a clipboard and head out for langdale/ borrowdale and try some face to face - you'll get more robust data as well, and give you more to talk about in your discussion
In reply to toad:

+1 to this. this is fieldwork for an outdoor degree, actually going outdoors would seem a prerequisite

the age ranges seem odd- was there a reason to choose them. unlikely to get any surgeons or senior civil servants in the 18-20 group...

and what would you put if you were in full time education, doesnt seem to be a category for that?

cheers
gregor
myers1990 20 Feb 2013
I've got some good data from people in Glenridding last week, a lot of them heading up Helvellyn, I've also got some data from students at the uni and people from speke, liverpool. I'm just using every available channel to get more data in order to answer my research question as fully as I can.

I didn't realise that google have the facility to create surveys, I will look into that now, thanks for the tip

The age ranges were suggested by my dissertation supervisor, the socio-economic group is what you feel you and your family are part of, so if you were 18 working in macdonalds during a gap year but both your parents were high earners, for instance a doctor and a civil servant, then you would associate yourself with the higher economic class. This is my fault for not making this clearer, hope this helps.

And I'd just like to say thank you to those who have already submitted feedback, data collected in this way seems to be richer and more useful than the data I've collected in person.
myers1990 20 Feb 2013
I've simplified this survey to 10 questions and put it on surveymonkey so its easier to complete, any feedback is very much appreciated.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/W6J3M59
 KevinJ 20 Feb 2013
In reply to myers1990:
Done
moffatross 20 Feb 2013
Your list of 'land based sport' is too limited to capture my interests.

Hill Walking (Winter)
Mountain Walking (Summer)
Mountain Walking (Winter)
Indoor Climbing
Bouldering
Trad Rock Climbing
Sport Climbing
Winter/Ice Climbing
Caving
Mountain Biking
High Rope
Orienteering

Why don't you just do away with that list and instead ask people what they do or include a complete list of activities to include e.g. running, skiing, fishing, badger baiting, dogging, etc ?
 Carolyn 21 Feb 2013
In reply to myers1990:

I'd recommend another survey group in Workington/Whitehaven/Egremont
 Flinticus 21 Feb 2013
In reply to myers1990:
Re social class, you need to clarify where pensioners on good income should go.

Do you mean 'private pension' to be anything other than state pension? In the field of pensions, 'private pension' has a more narrow definition and excludes and public sector and company occupational pensions

You would find a lot of NHS, unviersity & civil service retirees all drawing public sector pensions substantially higher than most private pension provision and above average earnings.
 Flinticus 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
Anyway survey done.
myers1990 21 Feb 2013
The outdoor activities I picked were the same ones surveyed in a BMC survey a few years ago, so I'm collecting data on the same activities so I can make comparisons.

The point brought up about pensions is something I'd never thought of, but hopefully those with a private pension would use the job that they got their pension from to explain their choice of socio-economic group. However I do realise this is a mistake in the way the groups are defined, hopefully it will have little/no bearing on the data and it gives me a mistake to talk about in my discussion section.

Thank you to everybody who has completed the survey, it is a big help and I'm receiving so good, detailed responses. For anybody interested I will post the main findings on this forum and if anybody is interested I can e-mail you a copy of my complete dissertation if you provide me with your e-mail address.
myers1990 23 Feb 2013
I've stop collecting data now, thank you for all your responses and providing rich data for my dissertation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...