Best campsites in the Alps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Happy Haggis 18 Feb 2013
I'd be grateful for any suggestions of the best campsites in the Alps. By "best", I'm looking for good facilities, not overly-busy, shop within walking distance for supplies and in a good location for a variety of routes.

Many thanks in advance.
 GridNorth 18 Feb 2013
In reply to Happy Haggis: I know a great little campsite in the Dolomites but it won't be much use to you if you are going to France, Germany, Austria, Italy or any of the eastern European countries that "the alps" cover.
 waldenmatt 18 Feb 2013
In reply to Happy Haggis: Ailefroide village campsite in the Ecrins used to be a great campsite. Facilities are(/were) OK, but the village has a little market type shop and a reasonable gear shop, and you have boulders in the valley within 10 mins walk (there's one in the campsite itself I think) and all the various longer, well known routes around all within 15-30mins walk.
Others on here will know better than I of current state of the place, I last went back in 2009, but it is a really nice spot.
In reply to fawlty:

I was there, Ailfroide, in 2010 and it was still great.

Lovely campsite , spectacular setting. Oustanding pizza from the van on Wednesdays

Top tip. The lights go out automatically around 10pm , bring a torch if you go to the pub. Otherwise you might end up blundering into the river on your way back to the tent. Or so I've heard.
Gone for good 18 Feb 2013
In reply to Happy Haggis: I enjoyed being in Randa campsite a couple of years ago. Only 10 minutes on train to Zermatt. Good location for the Dom, Alphubel, Zinalrothorn, Weisshorn etc and the Klein Matterhorn cable car in Zermatt that will get you to the likes of the Breithorn, Pollux, Castor etc. An OK shop on the campsite and a short drive (3 minutes max) to Tasch for Pubs, Restaurants etc if you dont want to walk to mile or so up the road. I was particualry impressed by the view of Zinalrothorn every morning.
OP Happy Haggis 18 Feb 2013
In reply to GridNorth: Actually, we might end up in the Dolomites at some point so please do pass on the recommendation!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
 GridNorth 18 Feb 2013
In reply to Happy Haggis: Here it is. Its near trhe Marmalada telecabin.

http://www.campeggi.com/en/camping_details.asp?id=179
In reply to fawlty: Ailefroide, is still as good as its always been. Stunning position, fantastic climbing and you can have a camp fire at the end of the day to.
 Slarti B 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Cold Mountain Kit:
> (In reply to fawlty) Ailefroide, is still as good as its always been. Stunning position, fantastic climbing and you can have a camp fire at the end of the day to.

Seconded. Plus walking, mountain biking, kayaking, sitting watching the view

Lovely
OP Happy Haggis 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Slarti B: Brilliant - thanks, all. Definitely sold on heading to Ailefroide.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...