UKC

OI NEWS: ISPO Outdoor Product Award Winners 2013

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 14 Feb 2013
ISPO Outdoor Trade Show 2013, 4 kbLast week Alan James and Sarah Stirling were at the massive winter gear tradeshow ISPO Munich, checking out new kit in the pipeline for next winter...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=5240
 Tyler 14 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

Not sure how revolutionary the Snipe rope is, Beal did exactly the same thing years ago
 TobyA 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Tyler: I remember Mammut did a rope that was tougher at the 'working ends', a different weave I guess, but I don't remember it being a different diameter - that sounds an odd idea actually, although it is only a small change according to the reports.
 creag 14 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC Gear: yeah, I'm really struggling to see how this rope is such an innovation!
0.2mm of thickness change gives how much extra life on a rope? And then when it does get worn, you're going to chop that bit off anyway and you are ack to square one!
Must be a slow year on the gear innovation front....
 Fraser 14 Feb 2013
In reply to creag:

"It also allows intuitive belaying and abseiling."

Emmm, run that one by me again.
 Cameron94 14 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC Gear: 6.9mm ropes...Not sure I would want to try them out despite the low weight!
 Toerag 23 Feb 2013
In reply to Cameron94:
> (In reply to UKC Gear) 6.9mm ropes...Not sure I would want to try them out despite the low weight!

Agreed - they'd be better off retaining the diameter and consequently the abrasion resistance and having a hollow core to reduce the weight. Besides, just how light do you need to go!?
 Franco Cookson 23 Feb 2013
In reply to Toerag:
> (In reply to Cameron94)
> [...]
>
> Agreed - they'd be better off retaining the diameter and consequently the abrasion resistance and having a hollow core to reduce the weight. Besides, just how light do you need to go!?

light
 MJ 23 Feb 2013
In reply to Cameron94:

6.9mm ropes...Not sure I would want to try them out despite the low weight!

It is a twin rope though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...