Road bike lubricant.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chay 01 Feb 2013
Hi All..

So, I've always thought and conformed to: Wet lube in the winter/rainy periods and Dry lube in the summer; this has always seemed to serve me well. However, I've seen articles recently stating the reverse and all sorts.

What do you use? Wet lube/Dry lube/summer/winter?

Much appreciated.
GB
In reply to GingerBread22:

I used to use the wet lube for winter, dry lube for summer regime but have switched to the ceramic lube and it seems to hold up well without attracting dirt. All in the (I think) dry line range.

ALC
 nniff 01 Feb 2013

I think wet lube is filthy stuff - I use a mix of wet lube and GT85. Still filthy, but not so bad and easier to clean off and start again

In the summer (what's that?) just dry, but seeing as it hasn't been dry for ages, still use the above.
 dale1968 01 Feb 2013
In reply to GingerBread22: gt85 on the winter bike, and ceramic for the racing machine
Climber 1981 01 Feb 2013
In reply to dale1968:
Having tried almost everything over the years my current favourite is Castrol Racing chain wax (for motorbikes).
It comes in a green aerosol can and is available at Halfords.
It's the best general purpose chain lube I've ever used. It doesn't wash off easily and isn't so sticky that it attracts lots of dirt.
I use GT85 and a cloth to clean my chain and then and then I lube it with the Castrol chain wax.
 EeeByGum 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Climber 1981:
> (In reply to dale1968)
> Having tried almost everything over the years my current favourite is Castrol Racing chain wax (for motorbikes).
> It comes in a green aerosol can and is available at Halfords.
> It's the best general purpose chain lube I've ever used. It doesn't wash off easily and isn't so sticky that it attracts lots of dirt.
> I use GT85 and a cloth to clean my chain and then and then I lube it with the Castrol chain wax.

I'll give that a try. I oiled my chain on Tuesday morning and after a couple of very wet / salty rides home, by Thursday evening it was completely dry, rusting nicely and squeaking like a workman in a fluorescent jacket's bike.
OP Chay 01 Feb 2013
In reply to GingerBread22: Thanks for all the responses! I'll have a look at the all things mentioned and have an experiment to see which suits me best..

Great to be able to narrow it down a little; there's so many about!

GB
 vark 01 Feb 2013
I like fenwicks stealth lube. Seems to do the job winter and summer

This is what I was on about - (Finish Line) http://www.wiggle.co.uk/finish-line-ceramic-wet-lubricant-120ml-bottle/

ALC
 dale1968 01 Feb 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: yeah Ive used it, excellent oil
 Dom Whillans 01 Feb 2013
was recently recommended ACF50 as being the mutt's nuts. only just making it's way into biking circles (i think).
OP Chay 01 Feb 2013
In reply to GingerBread22: Thanks guys! I'll give them a look...
 lost1977 01 Feb 2013

have always used finish line cross country wet but looking to switch to dry for my track bike in the near future
 Timmd 03 Feb 2013
In reply to GingerBread22:Green Oil chain lube is good IME, and it's hhad good reviews in some of the magazines too. Can't find anything wrong with it and use it year round, cleaning my chain more often probably does most good.
 Timmd 23 Feb 2013
In reply to GingerBread22:Tis wet by the way, and totally eco friendy and biodegradable.
 Twigger 28 Feb 2013
In reply to mikehike:

The rest of that blog is amazing! Slightly risky at work but it burned an hour out of my day...where am I?
 Toby_W 28 Feb 2013
In reply to dale1968:

You really like that ceramic stuff. I find it just soaks up dirt and turns black. It may in fact be excellent but it's just dirty and has no place on my lovely road bike.

Cheers

Toby

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...