recommend a good bivvy bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ste_b1978 30 Jan 2013
I'm after a good Bivvy bag that is good In snow holes, lightweight, breathable, waterproof, not too expensive and can be used on expeditions. Thanks in advance.
Removed User 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978:

I have a Rab Storm which I've used to sleep out on the hill here in the Highlands (albeit in summer) and as a sleeping bag cover when bothying year-round, often with a down bag. No condensation at all if your face is uncovered, a fair amount if you're completely zipped in but I suspect that would be the same with any bivi. Weight around 500g and can be had for £60 - £70 or therabouts. I've had mine about 4 years now.
 HenryC 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978:

I have a spare Terra Nova bivvy bag that I bought for a trip when I forgot my other one. Perfect condition £70 posted? PM me if you want a picture
 jonnie3430 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978:

http://www.alpkit.com/hunka I've used it quite a few times now and it's been excellent.
 Ron Walker 31 Jan 2013
In reply to jonnie3430:
> (In reply to Ste_b1978)
>
> http://www.alpkit.com/hunka I've used it quite a few times now and it's been excellent.

I second that and now rarely use my expensive Gortex ones...
 Nigel Modern 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978: Another vote for the Hunka, dry inside at all times and very light. You might find the larger one more useful - the standard I have is barely large enough for a medium sized man and definitely not large enough to have the sleeping mat on the inside.

I also have a Rab Ridge Raider which is brilliant but quite expensive. The beauty of the Rab is that it is essentially a one man tent and mine weighs 800g without pegs and the bag, neither of which are needed out in the hills.
 CarolineMc 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ron Walker:
> (In reply to jonnie3430)
> [...]
>
> I second that and now rarely use my expensive Gortex ones...

I third that!! Mine's ace. One thing I'd have done though, if I'd known, was to buy an XL one - I've got a monster down sleeping bag so the whole thing can feel a little bit tight. For the extra little bit of cash and weight it'd be worth it, especially to put your clothes inside to keep them from freezing! Co:
 tehmarks 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978:

I fourth the Hunka suggestion, although I can't say that I've had any size-related issues with the regular one (as a 5'9 man). Although it is definitely too small to fit a regular size sleeping mat inside, unfortunately.
 Jack Finney 31 Jan 2013
In reply to tehmarks:

I have a Rab Storm bivi for sale here:

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=536912&v=1#x7200456
 leeangell 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978:

Another vote for the Hunka, although if I'm going to be in a situation where I need to put my mattress on the inside of the bag I have an ex army gortex jobby, heavier but much more room and cheap.
 Indy 31 Jan 2013
In reply to jonnie3430:
But its got a bloody great big hole in it!
 alasdair19 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978: I have a gore tex Exchange one , its excellent. I have also used blizzard bags extensivly. Could be handy for summit pushes stylee
OP Ste_b1978 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978: Thanks for the info everyone looks like the alpkit hunka is the winner, the XL version is sold out, howtughtis the normal size?
 jonnie3430 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978:
> (In reply to Ste_b1978) Thanks for the info everyone looks like the alpkit hunka is the winner, the XL version is sold out, howtughtis the normal size?

I found it fine. I don't use the roll mat in the bivi bag (tends to put holes in the bivi bag,) idea and don't use a massive sleeping bag (I wear my clothes when it gets cold.) I'm 5 foot 8 and 75 kg.
OP Ste_b1978 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978: ha sorry that last word is "how tight is the normal hunka"
 Nigel Modern 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978:
> (In reply to Ste_b1978) Thanks for the info everyone looks like the alpkit hunka is the winner, the XL version is sold out, howtughtis the normal size?

I'm 5'9" and even with a pretty compact down bag I can't sleep comfortably with a 3/4 length lightweight self-inflator inside (Alpkit's own) but standard is fine as long as you don't mind the mattress outside.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...